Please help balance equation and explain the steps, thanks! equation:AgNO3+MgCl2-->Mg(NO3)2+AgCl?

Please help me balance this equation and explain in logical steps how to do it, thanks!

AgNO3+MgCl2-->Mg(NO3)2+AgCl

Update:

thanks jonah hex!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

The steps:

1. Know, then observe the species involved that make up the molecues in the equation. In this case, Ag+, NO3-, Mg+2, and Cl- ionic species.

2. Know that when balancing chemical equations, you need the same number of atoms on both sides of the equation and the total electrical charges, if any, must also be equal on both sides. In this case, the charges on both sides do, and will, equal zero.

3. Understand that to make the number of atoms equal you change coefficients of the molecules/atoms/ions, NOT the subscripts.

4. Note that on the right you have 2 NO3- ions (from the subscript on Mg(NO3)2), but only one NO3- on the right. Put a 2 as the coefficient for AgNO3 to get 2 NO3- ions:

2AgNO3+MgCl2-->Mg(NO3)2+AgCl

5. Note that you now have 2 Ag+ ions the left and only one on the right. Put a 2 as the coefficient for AgCl to get 2 Ag+ ions:

2AgNO3+MgCl2-->Mg(NO3)2+2AgCl

6. Note that you have 2 Cl- ions on the left and the right. They are ok.

7. Note that you have 1 Mg+2 on the left and the right. They are ok.

8. It seems we are done. Double checking: you have 2 Ag, 2 N, 6 O, 1 Mg, and 2 Cl atoms on both sides of the equation.

9. You are done. The balanced equation is:

2AgNO3+MgCl2-->Mg(NO3)2+2AgCl

• 8 years ago

2AgNO3(aq) + MgCl2(aq) --> Mg(NO3)2(aq) + 2AgCl(s)

It's always helpful to include the state symbols. You only get a reaction because there is an insoluble product and you should indicate that the insoluble product is silver chloride.

As for balancing, it's pretty obvious that there are two chlorine atoms on the left, and that we need two on the right. Place a two in front of AgCl. This gives us two Ag atoms on the right and so we need two on the left. This takes care of the nitrate ions as well.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

There's 2 NO3 on the right side so balance that on the left to get

2AgNO3 + MgCl2 --> Mg(NO3)2 + AgCl

There is now an extra Ag on the left side so balance it out on the right

2AgNO3 + MgCl2 --> Mg(NO3)2 + 2AgCl

Check of its balanced (which it is) so that is the answer

Hope this helps! :)

• 8 years ago

2 AgNO3 + MgCl2 -----> Mg(nO3)2 + 2 AgCl

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lauren
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

1.) Balance the Hydrogen Atoms first. Balance the Nitrogen atoms second. Balance the oxygen atoms third. (In most reactions with oxygen, balance oxygen atoms last.) 2.) Balance the chlorine atoms first (you should have 6 total on each side.) Then balance magnesium and chromium. (If an element is in a compound on both sides, balance it first.)

• 8 years ago

I just learned this if its wrong email me and i will do it again

Source(s): me
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Ag 1 1

N 1(2) 2

O 3(2) 6

Mg 1 1

Cl 2 1(2)

WHAT IDK lolol idk really.

Source(s): i sucked in school.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.