Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentInternational Organizations · 8 years ago

What is the process to eliminate veto power in the United Nations?

I know for a fact that veto power can be removed, but I'm not exactly sure of the process or how they come about to remove it. Does anyone know? I'm doing a project for a civics class and I'd really like to bring it up because it would strengthen my argument.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

veto power can be removed by the UN security council. Of course, any measure taken by the UN security council is subject to veto.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • peevee
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

It is not eliminating veto power but circumventing it by a different procedure. Here, the General Assembly acts presuming that lack of unanimity among the Permanent members is hampering UN action to maintain international peace and security. The General Assembly in such circumstances considers the matter immediately and issues recommendations. This procedure was successfully used in 1950 during the Korean War. If not in session, the General Assembly may even meet in Emergency Special Sessions.

• 8 years ago

Read UN resolution 2758. It is the case of China; unseating ROC to give the seat to PRC. But that was done by removing ROC as a memeber of UN recognising PRC as the successor state of ROC. Now ROC is not even a member of UN. So here the Veto power is eliminated as a consequence of the loss of primary membership of UN.

If a permanent member of UN SC has to be retired form its status as a permanent member, yet keeping its other obligations to UN unaltered; it becomes a complicated operation that is yet to evolve. There might not be a situation necessitating that now. Your contention appears to be erroneous. You should be much more circumspect in your concept, Veto power is only in connection with UN SC & the use of the word UN leads to vagueness. However you wish it to be understood as "eliminate veto power in the United Nations Security Council".

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

The "veto" is only applicable to the UN Security Council on matters of military affairs (security and peacekeeping). It is appropriate that the veto exists, because to be effective, all militarily capable countries must agree on the course of action.

The simple fact is that few countries are able to project military force beyond their own borders. That's why the USA, China, and Russia must agree (not veto) any proposed action. These are the only countries able to affect conditions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.