Looking for books on Autism?

So my son has autism and I would like some advice on really good books describing the disorder. I found one book that I'm really interested in reading but I haven't bought it yet and it happens to be about Aspergers and not Autism. I know that Aspergers is still Autism only that it is high functioning. However, I wanted to know if it would be okay for me to read it or should I not bother. I also wanted to know if you can give me any ideas on other books about AUTISM. Thank you for your help in advance.

Favorite Answer

Here are some books I reccomend:

The Hidden Curiculum by Brenda Smith Myles (focuses on teaching people with autism spectrum disorders social skills)

The Social Skills picture book by Jed Baker (focuses on teaching people with autism spectrum disorders social skills)

Incredible 5-point scale assisting students with autism spectrum disorders by Kari Dunn Baron (focuses on teaching people with autism spectrum disorders on figuring out feelings and managing emotions)

The New social Story book (10 year anniversary edition) by Carol Gray (focuses on teaching people with autism spectrum disorders social skills)

Developing Talents: Careers for individuals with Asperger's Syndrome and High Functioning Autism-Updated and expanded edition by Temple Grandin (focuses on career advice for individuals with AS and HFA)

Realizing the college dream with autism or asperger's syndrome: A parents guide to success by Ann Palmer (focuses on strategies for college bound students with HFA and AS)

Raising a child with Autism: A guide to Applied Behavioral Analysis for parents by Shira Richman (focuses on using ABA techniques for a child with autism)

Autism, Advocates and Law Enforcement Professionals:Recognizing and reducing risks for people with autism spectrum disorders by Dennis Debbaudt (focuses on community safety situations that people with autism face and how to reduce the risks of these)

Teaching children with autism to mind-read: A practical guide for teachers and parents by Simon-baron Cohen and Patricia Howlin (focuses on teaching children with autism social skills)

Visual supports for people with autism: A guide for parents and professionals (Topics in autism) by Marlene J. Cohen (focuses on building independence skills for people with autism)

Yoga for children with autism: A Step by Step guide for parents and professionals by Dion E. Betts

(focuses on implementing yoga for children with autism)

Activity Schedules for children with Autism: Teaching Independent Behavior (Topics in autism) by Lynn Mclalahanan and Patricia J. Krantz (focuses on building independence skills in children with autism)

There are a lot more books on Amazon.com and AAPC.

Source(s): Amazon.com and reviews from professionals

I've never heard of people disliking the term high functioning, it's part of a dx (HFA) and does clarify things a bit.

My recommendation is Temple Grandins first book - I think it's called My Life in Pictures. You can get it at the library for free and it was the first book I read - it helped a lot with ideas for calming and coping strategies for my son and me!

You could look on the Internet for them or go to your local book store for example Barnes & Noble and look in the learning disablilites or psychology section I have found a book Autism there.

I am Autistic myself high functioning :)

Id suggest two Catherine Maurice books to start: "Behavioral Interventions for Young Children with Autism" and "Let Me Hear Your Voice". Both are wonderful books written by a mother of children with Autism. Depending on what you want to know about specifically (diets, treatment, behavior, IEP process, etc) there are probably hundreds of books available about each topic. Until you narrow your focus some, you could also go to resource websites like Autism Speaks or Autism Research Institute. Also check out your local library so you can browse the book first to see if you want to buy it.

• Kasha

Autism is a big subject - what specifically are you looking for?

General, something for him to understand, parental guides?

A few possible suggestions...

A is for "All Aboard" by Paula Kluth and Victoria Kluth

Cowboy and Wills by Monica Holloway

Gravity Pulls You In by Kyra Anderson and Vicki Forman

Making Peace With Autism by Susan Senator

My Baby Rides the Short Bus, eds. Yantra Bertelli, Jen Silverman, and Sarah Talbot

Not My Boy! A Father, A Son, and One Family's Journey With Autism by Rodney Peete

A Regular Guy: Growing Up With Autism by Laura Shumaker

Ask and Tell by Stephen Shore

The Autism Mom's Survival Guide by Susan Senator

The Autistic Spectrum by Lorna Wing

Behavioral Intervention for Young Children With Autism by Catherine Maurice

Managing Meltdowns by Deb Lipsky

If you're new to autism I highly suggest getting onto some autism blogs (I recomend Stark. Raving. Mad. Mommy - http://www.starkravingmadmommy.com for a start) and forums to see how autism presents in real people rather than a bunch of medical definitions. Include sources with adults on the spectrum, this would allow you to get information from adults who have already been through what your son may be going through now. We have a real problem within the community of parents not listening to us adults on the spectrum, which is problematic for children who need parents to be able to guide them through life and for autistic people who need all the help they can get to make changes in society...learn from the adults, and remember your son will be an adult one day too.

As a note terms like 'high functioning' are considered offensive, and are not very useful in describing autistic people, perhaps 'can pass for NT' is more appropriate - autistic people 'can pass for NT' as much as people with Asperger's, the difference is developmental and in learning disabilities.

Source(s): I have Asperger's.