Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

What was amazing about Jesus talking to the Samaritan woman?

``

Explain for others what was amazing about Jesus talking to the

Samaritan woman.

This will involve the Samaritans, who they were, what happened,

why the Jews really hated them.

<<>>

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The story of the nameless Samaritan woman at the well, recorded only in the Gospel of John, is a revealing one, full of many truths and powerful lessons for us today. The woman at the well follows on the heels of Jesus’ interaction with Nicodemus, a Pharisee and prominent member of the Jewish Sanhedrin (John 3:1-21). In John 4:4-42 we read about Jesus’ conversation with a lone Samaritan woman who had come to get water from a well (known as Jacob’s well) located about a half mile from the city of Sychar in Samaria.

This was an extraordinary woman not so much because she was a Samaritan, a race of people that the Jews utterly despised as having no claim on their God, but because she was an outcast and looked down upon by her own people. This is evidenced by the fact that she came alone to draw water from the community well when during biblical times drawing water and chatting at the well was the social highpoint of a woman’s day. However, this woman was ostracized and marked as immoral, an unmarried woman living openly with the fifth in a series of men.

In spite of the similarities in the two meetings between Nicodemus and the Samaritan woman, there are differences in the way Jesus unveiled grace to them. While Nicodemus needed to see himself as a sinner in order to understand grace, the Samaritan woman, who knew she was a sinner, needed to see herself as a person of worth and value. And this provides us with one of the most powerful lessons in all of Scripture.

This story teaches us that God finds us worthy of His love in spite of our bankrupt lives. God values us enough to actively seek us, to welcome us to intimacy, and to rejoice in our worship. As a result of Jesus’ conversation, only a person like the Samaritan woman, an outcast from her own people, could understand what this means. To be wanted, to be cared for when no one, not even herself, could see anything of value in her—this is grace indeed.

But there are many other valuable truths we glean from this story. We learn that:

1) Only through Jesus can we obtain and receive eternal life: “Jesus answered, ‘Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life’” (John 4:13-14; cf. John 14:6).

2) Jesus’ ministering to those outcasts of the Jewish society (the Samaritans), reveals that all people are valuable to God and that Jesus desires that we demonstrate love to everyone . . . including even our enemies (John 4:7-9; Matthew 5:44).

3) Jesus is the Messiah (John 4:25-26; 1:41; Matthew 27:22; Luke 2:11).

4) Those who worship God, worship Him in spirit and truth (John 4:23-24; Psalm 145:18).

5) Our testimony about Jesus is the most powerful tool we have to lead others to believe in Jesus: “Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, ‘He told me everything I ever did.’ So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of his words many more became believers. They said to the woman, ‘We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world”’ (John 4:39-42).

Additionally, we learn that Jesus' dialogue with the woman at the well presents us with three absolute truths about salvation:

1) Salvation comes only to those who recognize their desperate need for the spiritual life they do not have. Living water can be obtained only by those who recognize that they are spiritually thirsty.

2) Salvation comes only to those who confess and repent of their sin and desire forgiveness. Before this immoral woman could embrace the Savior, she had to concede the full burden of her sins.

3) Salvation comes only to those who take hold of Jesus as their Messiah. For the absolute truth is that salvation is found in no one else (John 14:6; Acts 4:12).

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Jesus has no respect of person (Gal 3:26-29). However, it truly means that Jesus will use ANYONE as a vessel to draw men to Him (John 4:39-42). However, I have a question: Does the Word say that the woman ever knew Jesus? Based on John 4:29, "Come, see a MAN, who told me all things that ever I did"....Then she ASKED A QUESTION (a sign of uncertainty) "Is not this the Christ?" Also, based on John 4:21, "Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall NEITHER in this mountain, NOR yet at Jerusalem worship the Father." This was not speaking of a geographical location, but as verses 22-24 indicates she worshiped she did not know what but true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth. Verse 24 states, "God is a Spirit; and they that worship him MUST worship him in spirit and in truth." With that being said, Do you think that she ever really found Jesus?

• 9 years ago

ASK JESUS FOR FORGIVENESS AND LEARN THE COMMANDMENTS HE DIED ON THE CROSS TO WASH AWAY OUR SINS

• 9 years ago

Hmm... everybody seems to have missed out the real 'bone of contention' there was between the Samaritans and the Jews, and which persists even to this day among their descendents.

Okay, because I am not as clear on this myself as I'd like to be, I have copied this from the New World Encyclopedia:

'The exact historical origins of the Samaritans are controversial. The Samaritans claim that the split between Jews and Samaritan-Israelites originated when the "false" high priest Eli (spiritual father of the Biblical judge Samuel) usurped the priestly office from its occupant, Uzzi, and abandoned Gerizim to establish a rival shrine at Shiloh. Eli then prevented southern pilgrims from Judah and Benjamin from attending the Gerizim shrine. Eli also fashioned a duplicate of the Ark of the Covenant, and it was this replica that eventually made its way to the Judahite sanctuary in Jerusalem. According to the Biblical account, Eli's protégé, Samuel, later anointed David, a Judahite, as the first king of the supposedly united kingdom of Judah/Israel. The Biblical view that the kings of Judah, descended from David, represent the true sacred kingship is thus challenged by the Samaritan history, in which an allegedly false high priest originally anointed the kings of Judah, and their conviction that the sacred sanctuary of the God of Israel was supposed to be located at Gerizim, not Jerusalem'.

What the Jews despised about the Samaritans was the fact that they worshipped at Mt. Gerizim and not at the biblically-appointed place of Jerusalem. Therefore, they led people astray, into a fruitless thing which was against what the Lord had said he desired.

This is witnessed by the fact that the woman, with a very open mind, asked the Lord Jesus:

Joh 4:20 'Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship'.

Jesus tells her 'salvation is of the Jews' - in other words, the Samaritans have got it wrong - and when she asks specifically about where one ought to worship, he points forward, not to where the Jews went to to worship at that time, but where the Spirit was wanting to lead them, and all people, who one day, wouldn't all be able physically, to get to Jerusalem. Neither would they need to, for they were being called henceforth, to wortship the Father 'in spirit and in truth'.

Yes, 'neither at this mountain (that is, Gerizim) nor in Jerusalem...'. The Lord had a different solution altogether, pointing forward to the time when the Temple would no longer exist.

The problem was, as the woman said 'our fathers worshipped in this mountain'. What the Samaritans were going on was tradition, meaning what their fathers did had to be right. But the Word of God does not say that, it clearly says, in the Old Testament, that God would establish a place where men were to go to, which would be the focus of worship, and that place was, firstly in Shiloh, and then in Jerusalem. It is not a matter of a false priest usurping another, it is a matter of what God has said.

And another thing the Word was very strong about was that people were not to set up shrines all over Israel, at whim, to worship him in an uncontrolled fashion, because that was what pagans did. Therefore, he desired a centralised location, and a priesthood who knew what they were doing, gathered around the place where he had said he would set his name there. There was only one such place - still is - and that is Jerusalem.

What was amazing? Jesus cared not a hoot for issues of gender, culture, morality, or any other boundary. He just loved people, so he spoke to all types.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Candy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

For one, the amazing meekness( tender form-ability of mind toward good.) of the Samaritan woman.

The Samaritan people, at the time, were considered foreigners to Israel, and as well God's Relationship to His Chosen people. The Hebrews didn't necessarily "hate them". They just weren't yet so much a made a part with the bigger picture. Jesus had a short time on this Earth to fulfill what was Given to him to do. From a point of a lack for understanding, the encounter between Jesus and this woman could seem rather cold shouldered. However, from and educated viewpoint, it was actually quite sweet of an occasion, between both of them. God was so Pleased in both Jesus and the Samaritan woman that He had it to be recorded in the scriptures and immortalized, forever, to be famed throughout all the ages. The woman had so much trust for the Goodness of God, that she even looked beyond these negative obstacles in her time and culture, and even how they might have seemed to be against her people for even having been born.

She was a woman with such a beautiful heart, that it even out distanced the time and age in which she was born. As if her heart had vision for what God was about to do. A level of beauty at heart that would even had been rare among the Prophets of God before that day and time. Since the first sin of mankind God had awaited what He could reveal onto mankind by His Mercy in Jesus the Christ, but none before him could see the vision of it, nor show it, for the nature of sin and its consequences in them. The whole world was blinded to The Almighty mercy. Even as it is still the lack for where mankind is hindered, even unto this day. However, even this woman, all seemed set against her allowed such Investment of God's Goodness to be acknowledged in her, that it would have even been pleasantly shocking even unto the Christ, himself. Few would know it, but there would be few example of believing in the heart of a woman short of even Mary the Mother of Jesus, herself, believing to bring forth the Christ. Who is called "Blessed above all women". The world's culture and knowledge among the common person, even throughout all history, would show relatively little as to what God is truly like. This Samaritan woman, thought of as a foreigner to the covenants of God, saw beyond it, in a way so beautiful there are few examples the like, even throughout all history. She was a woman who's heart could melt ice at her words.

How can an atheist know that I do not hate them? If their stand comes to press against my own and whosoever I love, I have no choice but to call them my enemy who bring a war to my doorstep.

So is this world in its blindness as for what makes for enmity. I must call him that would smite my brother, a public enemy. Do they think I would not know they would hate my say? Still yet, I see a vision that out distance the enmity among mankind, so driven against one another by the lie. Every party, even the truth being the thing that is turned against them. One man regards this truth, an other, that one, and all they focus upon is the one the others error. Hating, reviling, for what ground to meet upon in peace. Seared for fault, they hate that come to warm and comfort them. Without relent Mercy( even the withholding of even merited Judgement) chasing them down, they yet run from it in terror. What is adequate still Reigns, and even limits the destruction among them over all for a great and unsubdued balance between different kinds of people, but they revile to hear of it. Nothing is evil of itself, but every man sees evil everywhere and makes in his own vision, the greater matter of it, than good. The fear the nuclear bomb, but Wisdom, refuses any man to use it. They even yet give more power to death, than life. Never the less the vision of The Almighty Mercy awaits to be seen among them, and ceases not in endless beckoning unto their ears. Enmity has been destroyed. What remains is that the world still does not know it.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The Samaritan woman herself gives the answer to that question. She said, "How is it that you're talking to me (she said to Jesus), for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.

So then why was Jesus talking with her?

Because it was the will of God the Father for him to do so.

Jesus went first to the Jews. Even after Jesus had already gone back to heaven, the early Jewish Christians didn't understand that Gentiles could also be saved. God had to prepare Peter with a vision (Acts chapter 10), before Peter could go to Cornelius, a Roman soldier.

Fred Hoehn, www.livingwater.bugs3.com

Reference: The Holy Bible, King James Version

• 9 years ago

Samaria was a region that God told the Jews to wipe out when they returned to the promised land from Egypt. The Samaritans came to the Jews pretending to be from far far away and signed a treaty with Israel. It turned out they weren't very far away so the Jews had to put up with idol-worshipping foreigners in their midst ever since.

When the Kingdom split into the northern and southern kingdoms, the region of Samaria became independant again and would often fight against one of the two kingdoms.

Under Roman authority, the Jewish people despised and resented the Samaritans. That's why it was unusual for a Jew to talk to a Samaritan, let alone a Samaritan woman.

Source(s): Bible
  • ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

It was amazing they were not both stoned for attempted adultery.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Jesus, talking, is amazing?

What do you call it when I shout? Stupendous?

• I like how Jesus was teaching how God loves everyone no matter what their ethnic background.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.