Todd asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

I have a 15 lbs Shi-Poo (Shi-Tzu/Poodle) and I recently saw a red fox hanging around,?

the locals informed me that there is a fox den in our area so obviously I am extremely worried for "Jake"at as I heard they are prone to attack small dogs. Is this true? And what can I do to prevent the foxes (or Cayotes) from coming into our yard? Is there some kind of plant that they stay away from or SOMETHING to keep them at bay?

HELP! I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE MY JAKE!

Worried in Nova Scotia

Favorite Answer

I live in an area where raccoons, foxes, coyotes and even the occasional Mountain Lion frequent. I have a fenced yard, but my dogs NEVER go out unsupervised.

If they are outside, I am right there - day or night - doesn't matter. Coyotes and Mtn. Lions can easily jump a fairly high fence. They will take a cat or a small dog in a heartbeat.

Always, always, supervise your dogs if they're outside.

I have a shihpoo too:)

I have seen foxes and coyotes in our neighborhood also. There is nothing we can really do about it. We see the coyotes during the day too, but they havent gotten any pets thankfully. I dont think there is any plants or anything to keep them away.

Yes, its true they often hang around neighborhoods to look for pets. They have even attacked small children! Vicious.

Unless you have a fenced yard, Jake needs to be on a leash whenever you are outside. Never leave him outdoors unattended, coyotes are good at hiding and watching. They have been known to hang around a certain yard for days at a time for a pet. When you let Jake out to go to the bathroom, ESPECIALLY at night, use a leash. If you keep seeing foxes and coyotes in your yard, put some tuna on some moustraps outside, that should freak them out.

Be safe!

um ive never heard of some kind of plants so the cayotes or foxes stay away, theres nothing you can really do about that.

1) if you walk the dog after 7, ALWAYS, ALWAYS keep a leash on your dog. walk your dog earlier and take him out often so you wont have to go later at night.

2) NEVER keep your dog unattended, dogs dont know any better, and sometime they dont do the right thing.

i hope these tips help. good luck!

Supervise the little mutt at all times when outside. Wild animals are almost always afraid of hunans. If not, and they come near you, you can shoot them if you are in danger. But if they are just hanging around a distance away, no. But if they are on the attack, yes.

Even if no foxes or coyotes, the little mutt should still be supervised. Birds of prey can easily pick up a 15 lb dog.

if you have dog proofed your yard you have nothing to worry about.

if not, keep the dog on a leash at all times when outside.

Fast Facts

Life Span: 3-7 years

Size: 38-42 inches long, 14-16 inches at shoulder; weight 8-12 pounds

Offspring: 4-5 kits

Speed: up to 35 mph

Status: Common

It is about the same size as your dog. & unless your dog poses a threat to the Foxes they will probably leave your dog alone.

I have always wanted a red kit. They are so beautiful, until they shed.

Very simple solution --- you never leave your dog unattended outside, that's what.

Responsible dog owners don't put their dogs outside for anything to get at them.

If you care about your "jake", you'll watch when he's outside or walk him on leash - simple solution.

I agree. Supervise your mutt.