Is it true the Jehovah's Witnesses compare the Cross with a weapon like a gun or knife?

I have seen Jehovah's Witnesses' questions and answers about this subject before, but what are the comparisons?

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=An...

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aj...

How are these guns and knives that destroy people relate to Jesus who died on the Cross that saved us?

How can carrying the Cross relate in any way with carrying a gun or knife?

Is the instrument of salvation any different than the instruments of waste or destruction?

Avondrow...Who told you I venerated the Cross? I don't carry a weapon of destruction, but Jesus said we should carry the cross.

Luke 14:27

And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

9th Grader...The word "stake" does not have any meaning if it was used in the above Luke passage. Even if it was a stake, why won't you carry it as Jesus commanded it?

The Cross is an instrument of salvation, not an instrument of destruction like the JWs want it portrayed.

1 Corinthians 1:18

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Actually if the Bible was looked into more closely, the Cross was used where Jesus died for our salvation, whereas the gun or the knife was not used in that form...huge difference...no comparison.

Abernathy...Are you saying Jesus carried the Cross (stake) literally and then He commanded His followers to do it symbolically? Does that make any sense?

Excuse my backwards sentence arrangement Abernathy...

I meant to ask... Are you saying Jesus asked His followers to carry the Cross (stake) symbolically and then He carried it literally to His death?

That was what I wanted to ask, but does that make any sense?

Abernathy...If you now say the Cross (or stake) is symbolic for Christians, why were you saying earlier the Cross is a symbol of destruction instead of a symbol of persecution and salvation? You still don't see the conflict in your answer?

From dictionary.com...

sym·bol·ic [sim-bol-ik] Show IPA

adjective

1. serving as a symbol of something (often followed by of ).

2. of, pertaining to, or expressed by a symbol.

3. characterized by or involving the use of symbols: a highly symbolic poem.

Favorite Answer

Jehovah's Witnesses would have you believe that all the churches of "Christendom" (Catholics and Protestants alike) venerate and worship the cross, pray to it and wear it round their necks. They fail to realise that Protestants do no such thing. What they suggest is this is like a person taking a murder weapon (like a knife or a gun) and worshipping it, or venerating it by wearing it round their neck.

This is a sick suggestion, which is way out of line. It is also wildly inaccurate because no Christian I know worships the cross, venerates it or prays to it. It's just another way for the Governing Body to brainwash the rank and file members into thinking that they're right and everybody else is wrong.

Look at the way they distort the truth by lumping all Protestants with Catholics in this article, Did Jesus Really Die On A Cross?: "Millions revere it, considering it to be the sacred instrument on which Jesus was put to death. Roman Catholic writer and archaeologist Adolphe-Napoleon Didron stated: “The cross has received a worship similar, if not equal, to that of Christ; this sacred wood is adored almost equally with God Himself.” Some say that the cross makes them feel closer to God when they pray. Others use it as an amulet, thinking that it protects them from evil."

Or in their book, What Does The Bible Really Teach: "The cross is loved and respected by millions of people. The Encyclopædia Britannica calls the cross “the principal symbol of the Christian religion.” No mention is made that Protestants do not follow the practises of Catholics, or that Christians do not love the cross. Everything they say is calculated to paint a negative picture.

Christians do NOT revere the cross, view it as sacred or love it. Christians realise it was a wicked instrument of torture, widely used by the Romans. But whether Jesus died on an upright piece of wood or one with a crossbeam is immaterial to any argument because Christians know that it was prophesied that our Lord would be hung on a tree - a piece of wood from a tree, it's shape being immaterial. Jehovah's Witnesses will twist anything and everything to suggest Christians follow pagan rituals.

Jehovah's Witnesses think the cross is pagan, foolish and offensive, which is why they will have nothing to do with it. What they ignore is the fact that millions of Protestants are not guilty of the "crimes" they claim are attributed to every single person in "Christendom." They like to indiscriminately tar everyone with the same brush, just to give the impression they are right and everyone else is wrong. But why allow the facts to get in the way of making themselves appear to be so holy and righteous? Trouble is, millions of Jehovah's Witnesses are so gullible and naive they don't even bother to check what is put before them as "fact."

Yes, it is true that is sometimes used as a piece of reasoning to not wear crosses. However, I favor a more biblical approach. Christians are told to flee from idolatry (1 Cor 10:14), and crosses as religious symbols are idolatry.

Indeed, the copper serpent (Numbers 21:9) - which represented Jesus on the stake (John 3:14) - was corrupted by later Israelites and used idolatrously (2 Kings 18:4).

===

Luke 14:27

And whoever does not carry their cross [stake] and follow me cannot be my disciple.

Is Jesus speaking literally, or symbolically? Symbolically. He is using here, as he often does, a parable as a form of teaching.

A literal interpretation falls flat on its face. Why? Jesus said these words before he was executed. A literal interpretation would require that his disciples at that time to carry literal crosses/stakes on their persons, otherwise they would not qualify to be his disciple. No Bible scholar/commentator holds this position.

In other words, Luke 14:27 has no bearing on wearing cross necklaces and the like.

[edit]

Yes, it is symbolic for Christians, and literal for Jesus.

Jesus was not requiring the disciples he was speaking to to carry a literal stake (cross) - Jesus himself had not yet done the literal task.

It makes sense because true worshipers do many things symbolically, whereas there is a literal reality. Just read the book of Hebrews to understand that concept.

[edit]

For example:

"iii. Taking up the cross (9:23-27).

"Jesus immediately followed the announcement of the cross with a reference to another cross, this one to be carried by His followers. There is, of course, a difference. Their cross was not literal and their sufferings not atoning. But it was (and is) real.

"23. The follower of Jesus must *deny himself.* There is nothing self-indulgent about being a Christian. The disciples had probably seen a man *take up his cross,* and they knew what it meant. When a man from one of their villages took up a cross and went off with a little band of Roman soldiers, he was on a one-way journey. He'd not be back. Taking up the cross meant the utmost in self-denial. This is Luke's first use of the word *cross* and it comes with striking effect. Christ's follower has died to a whole way of life (cf. 14:27). Luke tells us that this is not something that can be finished and got out of the way: it must be done *daily.* So, says Jesus, will he *follow me.* "

- The Gospel According to St. Luke, An Introduction and Commentary, Leon Morris. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries.

• I Try

I could not agree more with what @Grey Tower has said, to accuse every Christian of caring around a cross and venerating it or even worshiping it is next to slander.

While they are putting down Christians they get the feeling of superiority and they become more set in believing theirs is the only true belief even though their teachings need to be changed many times because the angel masquerading as the Angel of light, Satan, has given them bad information again.

How could they get such bad light that needed them to change the teaching of the resurrection of the Sodomites 8 times, they will not be resurrected, they will be, no, yes, no, yes, no, etc......

Sorry about the typo, I do totally agree with @Grey Tower, and normally do, but in everything.

They argue that it was the instrument by which Christ was killed, so why venerate it? Their argument is 'if one of your loved ones was killed by being shot, would you venerate an image of a gun or bullet?'

Of course, they also argue that Christ wasn't killed on a cross, but on a 'torture' stake. It's a moot point, and there is actually very little evidence for the exact shape of the scaffold used for that form of execution at the time, but they get very hung up about the idea that the 'rood' or 'tree' mentioned in the bible refers to a vertical stake not a cruciform arrangement!

It is true that nowhere in the bible is the cross mentioned as a symbol of salvation, or even as anything that Xtians should think about! But the Cross was an existing religious Icon at the time - the Egyptian Ankh for example was valued by several cults in the Roman empire, so early Xtianity probably plagiarised this as it did so many other ideas and motifs.

Source(s): I really neither know nor care what you venerate! You asked about the JW argument, and I'm answering your question! Are you not familiar with rhetoric? And can you, BTW, give me the verse where Jesus tells his followers to carry the cross?

There were so many woodworking plans with this collection and you will not believe this but there are over thousands plans in the one package deal. Go here https://tr.im/zxv1W

This is really something to find that many all together. For someone like me who is just really starting to get involved with woodworking this was like letting me loose in a candy store and telling me I could have anything I wanted. That was my dream when I was a kid.

Actually, the cross is the very ALTAR that God used to accept the perfect sacrifice of Jesus. That is how we know it had four corners.

The blood to cleanse the altar had to be placed on all four corners.

One corner--Jesus bled on this through the Crown of thorns (Matthew 27:29)

Two corners--Jesus bled on this through the NAILS through his hands (John 20:25)

One corner--Jesus bled on this through the Nail in his feet (Luke 24:39)

Only after the altar was cleansed was the sacrifice now acceptable to God. Jesus laid down his life as the perfect sacrifice to cleanse us from all sin. There is no greater love than this!

Everything was completely fulfilled according to the LAW to teach otherwise is not to believe what the scriptures clearly state.

Cleansing of the Altar in the Old Testament:

Ezekiel 43:20, "And thou shalt take of the blood thereof, and put it on the four horns of it, and on the four corners of the settle, and upon the border round about: thus shalt thou cleanse and purge it."

Grader: Jesus died on the Cross, not a stake.

Actually the cross is more similar to the electric chair or gas chamber. It was an instrument of execution.

Good question.All three are implements of killing people in their own ways. Our reasoning is why would people wear a cross which was a supposed implement of death to Jesus. Why don't we wear other implements of killing such as knives an guns. It's the same principle.

Luke 14:24 Hardship and persecution are involved in being Jesus’ disciple, as he goes on to indicate: “Whoever is not carrying his torture stake and coming after me cannot be my disciple.” Thus, a true disciple must be willing to undergo the same burden of reproach that Jesus endured, even including, if necessary, dying at the hands of God’s enemies, which Jesus is soon to do.

1 Cor 1:18 “Torture stake” sometimes stands for the sufferings, shame, or torture experienced because of being a follower of Jesus Christ. As Jesus said: “Whoever does not accept his torture stake and follow after me is not worthy of me.” (Mt 10:38; 16:24; Mr 8:34; Lu 9:23; 14:27) The expression “torture stake” is also used in such a way as to represent Jesus’ death upon the stake, which made possible redemption from sin and reconciliation with God.—1Co 1:17, 18.

The Greek word rendered “cross” in many modern Bible versions (“torture stake” in NW) is stau·ros′. In classical Greek, this word meant merely an upright stake, or pale. Later it also came to be used for an execution stake having a crosspiece. The Imperial Bible-Dictionary acknowledges this, saying: “The Greek word for cross, [stau·ros′], properly signified a stake, an upright pole, or piece of paling, on which anything might be hung, or which might be used in impaling [fencing in] a piece of ground. . . . Even amongst the Romans the crux (from which our cross is derived) appears to have been originally an upright pole.”—Edited by P. Fairbairn (London, 1874), Vol. I, p. 376.

Was that the case in connection with the execution of God’s Son? It is noteworthy that the Bible also uses the word xy′lon to identify the device used. A Greek-English Lexicon, by Liddell and Scott, defines this as meaning: “Wood cut and ready for use, firewood, timber, etc. . . . piece of wood, log, beam, post . . . cudgel, club . . . stake on which criminals were impaled . . . of live wood, tree.” It also says “in NT, of the cross,” and cites Acts 5:30 and 10:39 as examples. (Oxford, 1968, pp. 1191, 1192) However, in those verses KJ, RS, JB, and Dy translate xy′lon as “tree.”

If wearing a cross is horrible because it's carrying around a symbolic murder weapon, why is symbolically drinking the victim's blood (Memorial) better?

Jesus gave instructions for his followers to keep in mind his sacrifice and if wearing the cross helps you remember that sacrifice I see no harm in that. There is the harm of using it as a talisman or an object of superstitious devotion and this is the use of the cross that would not be "Christian".