Taylor asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 8 years ago

I'm scared to cut my hair short?

I'm fourteen years old and I'm planning on cutting my hair shorter. Not crazy short but to like my shoulders.

I've never got more then a trim in my life, and to get the style I really want, I'd have to cut off a little less then eight inches.

I have a few questions before I go get it cut tomorrow.

1. Should I go through with it? Or leave my hair long?

2. My hair is pretty thick. Is 8 inches of thick hair a lot? My biggest fear is seeing the hair falling to the floor! Is the floor going to be covered in my hair?

3. I keep booking appointments but as soon as I get in the chair I chicken out and ask for a trim. How should I just suck it up and cut off my hair?

I honestly really, really want to cut my hair shorter. My long hair is really dead and scraggely. I need a haircut..I just need to get over my fear.

Favorite Answer

Taylor, I went through the same experience as you when I was fourteen (now I'm sixteen). I had thick, long hair that many people compared to anime hair (not saying I'm a fan, it was other peers' feedback). The few differences is I didn't have any dead hairs, and my hair wasn't cut to my shoulders; it was cut in half. It became a lot of work, and I was afraid of cutting it shorter. My advice is to get it cut since you said it's"dead and scraggely", and that you "need a haircut". If you need it get it cut. Just like you I would walk in thinking to myself"Okay this is the day I'm going to get it cut" and then the barber walks by and says "What can I do for you today?" and I would impulsively blurt out "I'd like a trim please." instead of a cut. When my hair was cut I did see the hair on the ground, it did make me jump, and I was shocked. I kept calm about it because since my hair went from 3 feet to a foot and a half I felt better for many reasons. Your hair doesn't weight you down as much, and hair grows all the time so your hair will grow back. In your case you would have dead hairs; it would look and be healthier. I hope my advice and suggestions have helped you in making your decision. I wish you the best, Taylor.

Source(s): I've experienced it and lived to tell the tale.
  • Marta

I understand where you're coming from: it's a part of your body you've had for a long time and you consider it a part of who you are. But part of growing and changing is adapting and experimenting with looks for you. My advice is to go to a trusted salon, say the place you've been for a long time. Tell them your situation and ask to just take about 3 inches off. Start slow, and ask for layers! That's a great, sexy look on anyone. Then, live with it for a few weeks. If you can handle the change well, go back in about a month and get the rest taken off. Do it gradually so it's not such an emotional shock. And if you don't love it, yes. It will grow back. But change is good! You will never know until you just take a leap of faith!

You just have to think positive. Not gonna lie, it can seem wierd at first watching the hair fall to the ground, but then you'll look in the mirror and it'll probably seem like it was worth it. Right now I consitently get my haircut to just about shoulder length too because it's easier to maintain than long hair was.

Just make sure that when you tell the person what you want done be specific, I've found shoulder length can be interpreted multiple ways (at, slightly above the shoulder, or slightly below the shoulder).

Source(s): I got 14 inches cut off (to my chin) when I was 10. It was a pretty big deal at first, but I liked it after awhile and it only took a few years for it to grow back, and then I got 6 cut off again!

seriously don't worry bout it! yesterday i cut off a good 15 inches of thick hair that i'd been growing for the past 2yrs! and now i have a short bob cut and i think it looks gr8. the ppl at the salon were initially shocked to see that much hair get cut but later they thought it luked sooo great that they started taking pics of me and the owner of that shop was like "maybe next time you should get streaks too... it'll be complimentary" and then i was like thats not allowed at my school...:(

so yeah wat i mean is that

1. go with it!

2. u could ask the stylist to hold ur hair like a pontail and cut it short first so it doesn't fall on the floor... maybe he could make a wig out of it :P

3.don't worry hen i was a kid i used to cry and wail and want stop with the haircut after half of it was already cut.

Among the primary explanations why it' so hard for people to have the things they want in life is really because they actually do not need what they think they do, if you are one of them you will surely need that book https://tr.im/6uquJ , Manifestation Miracle.

If you like to earn more income or if you prefer some items that money can get you: the freedom to accomplish whatever you wish to do when you wish to complete it, a nice vacations, asleep late in to your day or you don't like getting up for work. You can resolve this problem! Think positive!

I had the SAME fear last week! My hair went down to my upper back. I was scared at first, but then i realized that my hair was really dead and broken. I went to the salon and told them I wanted it cut to shoulder length. They asked if I wanted it styled, so I said to straighten it. They said Okay and got to work. At the end my hair looked amazing! BETTER THAN EVER! So I think you should cut it...... it might be better than you expect!

Source(s): Me

If you think it will look cute then for for it! Hair grows back, and summer is coming up anyways. If you cute off 8 inches, yes there will be a lot of hair around, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Think of it as new and exciting instead of new and scary.

Source(s): opinon

Okay... the main thing that you need to consider and then learn is..how do i put this simply.... THANK GOODNESS IT IS JUST HAIR!!! GOOD THING IT WILL GROW BACK!!! Sorry didn't mean to yell or anything but it's true... the good thing about hair is that it will grow back...if you hate the haircut... then wait a while for it to grow... if you like it, then that's good to!! just try it out!! close your eyes if you have to!! and know that other than helping your hair, your helping yourself!! Good luck!!!

come into my salon, i will cut it for you. Just don't go too short. Just short enough to be healthy and then you can decide if you like the change!

Close your eyes take a deep breath and go for it.

Source(s): I am a hairdresser.

I actually personally think guys look extremely warmer with short hair. I had any guy friend that had a afro and he cut it in 8th grade year and he suddenly got soo much cuter.