why did john green call his book the 'fault in our stars'?

im doing a book report for the fault in our stars by john green, but i finished the book awhile ago and i cant remember if the reasoning behind the title was explained. this question isn't part of my project but i have to answer a few questions after my presentation and i have a feeling that someone is going to ask about the title.

thanks for helping me out!!! i don't have any spare time to reread the entire book :(

Favorite Answer

It is derived from a popular quote from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Act 1: scene 2:

Men at some time are masters of their fates:

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,

But in ourselves, that we are underlings.

Usually misquoted as, "The fault lies not in our stars but in ourselves."

Cassius is saying that it is not fate that is to blame for our misfortunes, but our own selves and our circumstances. If Green is saying that the faults are in our stars he is saying that our own fates are out of our hands and instead are set by our horoscopes. If he is trying to communicate something else, then I cannot say.

I am not familiar with Green's book and I cannot tell you what he intended to say.

"The fault dear Brutus is not in our stars"

it's a Shakespeare quote that's quoted in the book :)