The Giver by Lois Lowry?

Can you help me with this question? I have to do an Essay.

Explain why we should sacrifice an orderly community in order to allow individuals to have more freedom. Where do you think the line between public safety and person freedom should be drawn?

Best Answer

I love that book....

okay in the Giver people have no freedom. They aren't allowed to decide anything from their clothes to their food to their careers. The community is orderly and people aren't unhappy but they aren't happy either. They are given drugs to supress their emotions. If there is no unhappiness, there is no happiness. There will never be fighting but there will also never be love or true, meaningful relationships. Freedom to feel and to chose are essential components of a real life. As for the line, it's really an opinion question. Where the USA has drawn the line is all right, except for the patriot act and FISA and whatnot. Need freedom of speech, assembly, press, etc.

nope srry