Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Favourite Vegetarian Recipes?

So I've been a vegetarian for 3 weeks now and I feel like I eat too many carbs so anyone of any ideas of what I should make that's vegetarian and doesn't have a lot of carbs?

(Preferably simple because I'm lazy)

Thanks!

Update:

And I don't eat fish or any sea food either!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you like them, you can throw a can of black beans in a pot just to heat til theyre a bit warm and mix with some salsa, put some sour cream, guacamole, or whatever u like on top for a quick snack :) Celery with peanut butter is always a win too.

Also, do you eat eggs? if so, i know that i still want to eat carbs alot, but just add some protein by wrapping scrambled eggs with/without veggies in a tortilla. Really yummy!

But if you definitely plan on sticking to this vegetarian deal, youre gonna have to embrace mexican or ethnic foods (such as the black beans) if you already dont because they tend to be very simple, include the same basic ingredients, are high in protein, and provide easy to order alternatives to the traditional Applebees menu that even has salads covered in bacon lol

Pop a sweet potato in the oven for 20 or so minutes, just open it up and eat if you want to be really healthy, or you could add butter, brown sugar to your liking.

Morningstar brand makes really good meatless chicken patties...i know its a contradiction, but it tastes so real. they also make veggie burgers, soy sausage patties, and so much more that u can quickly microwave :) hope i could help

Source(s): Vegetarian for 3 years and have had the same problem
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Squash Ravioli Bean tortilla rolls Pita pockets Veggie wraps

• greene
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I like tofu&veggie stirfry.

This is how I make it:

Put a skillet on stove, put a little bit of veggie oil on it&heat it up.

cut tofu into squares&cook it till its cooked to your taste.

put all your veggies into the mix (i usually use cauliflour(sp?), broccoli, snap peas, carrots, mushrooms, peppers, onions, etc...)

Pour some soy sauce into it.

Continue cooking until done.

=]

Sometimes, if I'm REALLY hungry for some reason, I'll cook some rice or quinoa on the side and mix it in after everything's cooked.

Source(s): Vegan
  • anon
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Make seitan and tofu and make half your plate vegetables instead of loading up on rice and bread. Carbs are fine for you though, as long as they are mostly whole grains.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ava
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

VEGETARIAN PIE

4 large potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced

60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil

20g unsalted butter

4 onions, sliced into thin wedges

125ml (1/2 cup) thick cream

1 tbs fresh thyme leaves

2 garlic cloves, crushed

2 x 375g blocks puff pastry

1 egg, beaten

Method

Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the potatoes on an oiled baking tray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil, then roast for 15 minutes.

Heat remaining oil and butter in a pan over low heat. Add onion and cook for 20 minutes until soft and golden. Set aside to cool. Combine onion and potato with cream, thyme and garlic. Season and set aside to cool.

Roll out pastry blocks on a lightly floured surface to 35 x 20cm rectangles. Place one sheet on a lightly floured baking tray and spread the mixture in the centre, leaving a 2cm border. Brush edge with egg, place other sheet on top and press together, pinching until sealed. (We used a little extra pastry to make decorative leaves.)

Brush all over with egg. Make 2 air holes in the top and bake for 25 minutes until crisp and golden.

VEGETARIAN PILAU

1/3 cup slivered almonds

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 large brown onion, finely chopped

400g frozen garden mix (veggies)

1 1/2 cups basmati rice

1 tablespoon garam masala

3/4 cup roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves

Method

Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add almonds. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate.

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in vegetables, rice and garam masala. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in 2 cups cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and water has been absorbed.

Add half the almonds and coriander. Stir to combine. Spoon into bowls. Serve with remaining almonds and coriander.

VEGETARIAN DUMPLINGS

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

3 garlic cloves, crushed

2 green onions, thinly sliced

1 1/2 cups finely shredded wombok (Chinese cabbage)

1 small carrot, peeled, grated

50g shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped

1/2 x 225g can bamboo shoots, chopped

1 tablespoon soy sauce

30 (275g packet) gow gee wrappers

Method

Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, wombok, carrot and mushroom. Cook, stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes or until cabbage has wilted. Remove from heat. Stir in bamboo shoots and soy sauce. Cool for 10 minutes.

Place wrappers on a flat surface. Spoon 2 teaspoons cabbage mixture on 1 half of each wrapper. Brush edges with cold water. Fold over to enclose filling. Press edges together to seal. Place on a tray lined with baking paper.

Place a steamer lined with baking paper over simmering water. Cook dumplings, in batches, for 15 minutes or until tender and cooked through. Serve.

VEGETARIAN PAELLA

2 tbs olive oil

1 onion, sliced

2 garlic cloves, sliced

1 pinch each saffron and chilli flakes

1/2 tsp smoked paprika

Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon

1 cup (220g) medium-grain rice

1/2 cup (125ml) white wine

400g can cherry tomatoes

300ml vegetable stock, heated

4 chargrilled artichokes, quartered

1 bunch asparagus, blanched, trimmed

100g green beans, blanched

Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve

Method

Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, saffron and chilli flakes, then season and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until onion starts to soften. Add the paprika and lemon zest and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the rice and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to coat the grains. Add the wine, cherry tomatoes and hot stock, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer, stirring, then cover the surface closely with baking paper. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 12-15 minutes until rice is just cooked.

Add artichoke, asparagus and beans, then cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes to warm through. Squeeze over lemon juice, garnish with parsley and serve.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.