? asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 8 years ago

1+glucose found in urine?

During one of my routine urinalysis, a 1+ glucose was found in my urine. RBC = 1, Squamous Epithelial = 2. All other results negative. The urine sample was taken 2 hours after my lunch. I never have glucose in my urine and am worried I'm at per-diabetic stage. My fasting blood sugar taken in March was at optimal level, ie at 4.1 mmol/L. My doc said the glucose could be due to the lunch I had taken. Subsequently I bought a bottle of reagent strips to self-test at home in the mornings n evenings. So far all negative for urine glucose.

Anyone had this before and then subsequent tests showed negative glucose? My next appt with doc is in July. Meanwhile I'll continue to self-monitor my urine daily until my July appointment. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

whatever you had for lunch probably raised your blood sugar a bit high and your kidneys were flushing out the extra glucose. totally normal. no need to monitor.

• Greer

The previous answer is only partially correct. Some glucose actually is filtered through the glomerulus and then reabsorbed in the proximal convuluted tubule before the filtrate descends down the loop of Henle. However, the transport mechansism has a maximum rate of 375 mg/min. The renal threshold has been measured at around 300 mg/dl concentration of glucose in plasma. Anymore than that and you will find glucose excreted in the urine.

If you’ve been diagnosed with diabetes, it’s very important that you learn all you can about your disease and the treatment options available to you. Learn here https://tr.im/e8eir

One way to approach diabetes is to use integrative holistic medicine, also known as alternative medicine, a medical specialty that focuses on caring for the whole person, treating and preventing disease, and empowering patients to create conditions for optimal health.