Isn't the "pro-life" position in regards to abortion rather ironic?

Outlawing abortion just increases the amount of unsafe abortions that occur. This doesn't help these "babies" at all, and just puts both the mother and "baby" at risk. Also, legalizing abortion makes abortion safer than childbirth. Maternal death from abortion from 1998 to 2005 was 0.6 per 100,000 persons, but was 8.8 per 100,000 persons for childbirth during the same time.

If "pro-life" people weren't hypocrites, they'd be for the legalization of abortion to protect the life of the mother. But, since they are hypocrites, clearly they only care about the life of a month-old fetus. How is the "pro-life" position in regards to abortion *not* ironic?

That stat was for the USA.

References:

http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications...

Raymond, E. G.; Grimes, D. A. (2012). "The Comparative Safety of Legal Induced Abortion and Childbirth in the United States". Obstetrics & Gynecology 119 (2, Part 1): 215–219. doi:10.1097/AOG.0b013e31823fe923. PMID 22270271.

"Pro-Life support abortion in rare life threatening cases."

Just because the woman isn't in a life-threatening case doesn't mean she can't die anyway.

@PaulCyp: But if it's safe, at least the woman doesn't have to worry about her intestines falling out through her vagina. (Go to the link in my references.)

"And many of them do permanent harm to the mother as well."

How so? Not financial (she won't have to spend money on the child), not physical (provided it's safe), not social (if she is a teen she won't have to face harder assent by her peers).

@mopar Mike: If you really care about life that much, you'd care about the life of the mother as much as the life of the "baby." Unless you're a hypocrite.

@baba gaga: That's also why they're hypocrites.

@T.E.H.: I've already seen "180" before. I think comparing abortions to the Holocaust is a very bad analogy. The Jews who died had relationships and families, were physically able to feel, and had careers and meaning in their lives. A fetus has none of these things. I don't see how an aborted fetus and a person who died in the Holocaust are anything alike.

@K.: But what about the number of women dying in childbirth?

• Alexis
    Favorite Answer

PaulCyp - "EVERY abortion is unsafe for the baby!"

*No* abortion is unsafe for a baby.

Babies do not get abortions. They cannot even get pregnant.

"And many of them do permanent harm to the mother as well. Maybe we should legalize armed robbery, to make it safer for those who choose to do it???"

Please click on the following link, and proceed to the section near the bottom entitles: "Abortion Causes "Harm" To The Mother:" It is too long to post here:

"Abortion": https://sites.google.com/site/alexisbrookex/aborti...

• T.E.H.

Well, to be perfectly honest, if women want to have abortions, they will have them - like you said.

At least then it will be safe.

What the pro lifers are saying is that abortions AREN'T GOOD. They want babies not to be aborted, safely or unsafely.

It is like your parents handing you marijuana, or alchohol, and throwing a crazy party under there supervision, because at least that way, it will be "safe".

My parents would never let me have that party to begin with (nor do I want to do that), but if I really did, I could go do it somewhere much riskier.

Should my parents let me have these parties?

While there are some differences in the analogies (mainly that in a low percentage of cases women's lives are in danger -not sure how I feel about that), I still hope that helps explain my point.

Also, women can die in any childbirth, so should we abort all babies?

Anyways, here is a video if you have time to suffer through which talks about another prolife stance (To help you understand where they are coming from- because that's why you came to Y!A, right? )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2KsU_dhwI

Youtube thumbnail

Called 180

EDIT: Just realized I kind of did not answer the question, but at least maybe I explained the prolife view point (its not really that ironic- I suppose its just as ironic to say pro choice people only care for the mother- the baby has no choice. But that would be a gross misunderstanding. Several factors probably contribute to the choice of abortion)

@Author: Its not so much the fact that a Jew died in the holocaust as the fact that people were unwilling to kill them in certain situations. This, to me, is more hypocritical, because you do NOT KNOW what will happen with the fetus. Maybe it will die, and maybe it will live, but I suppose that more than just "I don't want to deal with it" goes through a moms head during abortion.

I am also not in a situation, and as such probably grossly misunderstand it!

It would seem less ironic if people treated it as a tragedy, with all types of support going out to mothers having these, instead of attacking them...

Also, thanks for replying to this (most people are just like- give me an answer and I will not say a thing)

Let's say, for the sake of argument, outlawing abortion would increase the number of unsafe abortions. Let's further say that for every 10,000 legal abortions 4 unintended deaths result, in other words, 4 mothers die.

If abortion is made illegal, the number of abortions drops by half. The number of unsafe abortions could actually rise while the number of abortions decreases. This would result in a net increase in the number of lives saved.

My apologies for not explaining well. The concept is valid, but my math skills are woefully deficient.

Actually, the real hilarious thing is that it's been found time and again that when abortion is made illegal and reproductive health care is made harder to find, then health for everyone goes down.

Not just the pregnant person, not just the fetus, but also children, people who can become pregnant and people who can not become pregnant.

Also, pregnancy and delivery each on their own cause more deaths every year than abortion.

Although I agree with your stance entirely, I don't think - in the pro-lifers' eyes - that their position is ironic, as most don't consider the good in abortion. All the arguments I've heard are religious based or focused on the child's life, not the mother's... I suppose, in the pro-life opinion, that it's the mother's choice to undergo an abortion, so if she chooses to perform one even if it's illegal, it's *her* choice and thus she must face the consequences? Maybe it's even karma for "killing" her own child?

I've always laughed at this idea of pro life vs pro choice, spawned in the only nation generally childish enough to think in such false absolutes well into adulthood.

Need I point out that these fetus-loving Christians couldn't care less about the kid once it's born? They're voting for politicians who want to cut Medicaid, WIC, Head Start, and other programs to help disadvantaged kids.

• Mike

" Outlawing abortion just increases the amount of unsafe abortions that occur "

Your rationalization of this subject is appalling and absurd. If liberal education, entertainment and media outlets did saturate our culture with constant filth, we wouldn't have people having irresponsible sex out of wedlock leading to abortions.

Murder will always happen, rape will always happen, fires will always happen. So why have police men who enforce our laws and firemen who put out fires. After all, all these things are going to take place regardless. Why waste tax payer money on these government servants ? Just let men murder and rape and houses burn to the ground. You can't stop these things from happening anyways.

The bible states that god knows when you are going to be born and when you will die. If that is the case then an abortion was to be, god planned it that way.

My favorite response to pro-life busybodies was a sticker I saw on the bumper of a doctor's car in Houston Texas: "Don't agree with abortion? Then don't have one."