If Jesus was resurrected, and he ascended to heaven, where is his body?

Heaven is a spiritual realm, not physical, right? To go to heaven is to shed the flesh, right? Then, what happened to his body?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • CF
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The physical body of Jesus Christ was not allowed to decay into dust as did the bodies of Moses and David, men who were used to foreshadow Christ. (De 34:5, 6; Ac 13:35, 36; 2:27, 31) When his disciples went to the tomb early on the first day of the week, Jesus’ body had disappeared, and the bandages with which his body had been wrapped were left in the tomb, his body doubtless having been disintegrated without passing through the process of decaying.—Joh 20:2-9; Lu 24:3-6.

After Jesus’ resurrection he appeared in different bodies. Mary mistook him for the gardener. (Joh 20:14, 15) He again appeared, entering a room with locked doors, having a body with wound marks. (Joh 20:24-29) Several times he manifested himself and was recognized, not by his appearance, but by his words and actions. (Lu 24:15, 16, 30, 31, 36-45; Mt 28:16-18) Once a miracle performed at his direction opened his disciples’ eyes to his identity. (Joh 21:4-7, 12)

Jesus, having been resurrected as a spirit (1Pe 3:18), could materialize a body for the occasion as the angels did in past times, when they appeared as messengers. (Ge 18:2; 19:1, 12; Jos 5:13, 14; Jg 13:3, 6; Heb 13:2) During the days before the Flood, the angels that “did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place” performed an incarnation and married human wives. That these angelic sons of God were not truly human but had materialized bodies is shown by the fact that the Flood did not destroy these angels, but they dematerialized and returned to the spirit realm.—Jude 6; Ge 6:4; 1Pe 3:19, 20; 2Pe 2:4.

Source(s): Insight On The Scriptures, Vol. I, page 349 "Christ’s Body of Flesh"
  • 8 years ago

A resurrection body is equally at home on earth or in heaven.

Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, and that he may send the Christ, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus. He must remain in heaven until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets.

Acts 3:19-21

" But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body. "

Philippians 3:20-21

• 8 years ago

He is still in it. He came back to earth in it..remember Thomas{Doubting Thomas}? Remember He told Mary Mag. not to touch Him for He had not gone to heaven to see if His sacrifice was accepted by the Father. Christ is apart of the God Head and equal to God the Father in all ways... and He can do what ever He wants to do in any way He want to.

The gift to us is that when we finally go Home at the Second Coming..Christ will come in the clouds in the Same form He left Earth and every eye will see. All of the bible is inspired and we all need to read it from Genesis to Revelation to get the whole Plan of Salvation clear in our minds.

There is so much treasure being left out because people will not study all of Gods Word and only apart of the New. They have left out the end time Prophecies completely in Daniel and Revelation. I can see why so many people are so unawares of What God talks about and Remember the Holy Spirit has to be in your heart for us to understand any of Scripture correctly. He alone interprets Gods words. We can not.

Source(s): KJV, the Gideon Bible...Be literate in Scripture and do not rely on man totally for your Spirital Walk with Christ. This is a persoal, initmate relationship with God. Read as this will give you more faith and a closer Walk with Thee. I experience this daily.Remember Nothing is impossible with God.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Only spirits live in heaven. According to 1 Peter 3:18 (NASB) "For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit."

His fleshly body did not enter into heaven. 1 Corinthians 15:50 (NASB) "Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable."

As to what happened to his body, obviously God disposed of his physical body and returned him to the spiritual body he had before coming to earth.

Paisley Moon

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Does it matter? Even if they found his body today, the heretics would still deny it. The tomb is empty. His apostles seen him in resurrected form, mary magdaline saw him, peter saw him, thomas doubted until he seen him and put his fingers in the holes of the spikes and the spear that was thrust in his side.. So, if you have twelve witnesses, wouldn't that count for something? They wrote down what was seen, heard and done, but some of us still have the doubting thomas spirit. They wrote down everything in the new testament, but the doubting thomas' still want to see a sign and not believe in their heart that it happened. Perhaps some day, the scales may fall off your eyes and you too shall see.

EDIT: They found the shroud of turin, which showed marks from a crown of thorns, nail holes in all three hands, and spike holes in both feet. Hello....

EDIT: see there, a thumbs down from a doubting thomas

• 8 years ago

Jesus rose from the dead, and He rose not as Spirit but as Human.

That is the single most significant aspect of the Resurrection for all human beings in each day of history. The Resurrection was not simply a “God” thing;

It was a human thing as well. Jesus’ human Body was raised from the dead.

• 8 years ago

I have dived deep into this issue. Given everything I have seen, I have a couple conclusions.

First conclusion, mistaken identity. Who we think the man Jesus is could be someone completely different.

Second conclusion, the spirit of Jesus Christ manifested into physical form. Just as ghost appear to manifest into flesh. However, given the perfection and power of Christ, he could have easily manifested into flesh or something that felt and looked like flesh.

Either way, Christ is still my saviour.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No jesus has his body in heaven

• 8 years ago

It was transformed into an immortal body. Just imagine the gene code we have now. We will still have the same genes but the genre that tell our body to age and sure will be eternally altered. God is very mysterious, I can't wait. All the believers will be clothed with immortality amen

Source(s): good question
  • ?
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Jesus was an exception(born of a virgin) so it was God himself in that body and I imagine that He could have done anything he wanted to do with it,remember what is impossible for man is possible with God. Also, "disappearing bodies" also happend twice before, remember? that Enoch "walked with God: and he was not; for God took him," (Genesis 5:22-29) and Elijah is lifted up in a whirlwind?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.