Explain this quote in Macbeth?

Banquo:

Thou hast it now: King, Cawdor, Glamis, all,

As the weird women promised, and I fear

Thou play'dst most foully for't; yet it was said

It should not stand in thy posterity,

But that myself should be the root and father

Of many kings. If there come truth from them

(As upon thee, Macbeth, their speeches shine)

Why, by the verities on thee made good,

May they not be my oracles as well

And set me up in hope? But hush, no more. (3.1.1)

Favorite Answer

BANQUO:

You have it now, King, Cawdor, Glamis, all,

As the weird women promised; and, I’m afraid,

You played most foully for it. Still it was said

It would not be passed to your children,

Only that myself should be the root and father

Of many kings. If they told the truth,

As their speeches shine on you, Macbeth,

Why, by the truths made good on you,

Might they not be my prophecies as well,

And set up my hopes? But I’ll be quiet; no more.

Basically Banquo has always had doubts about the weird women's prophecies but now that Macbeth's prophecy (becoming lord of Cawdor, Glamis, and then the King) came true, he starts to wonder that maybe his prophecy (that his child will inherit the throne) will come true as well. However he also does think that Macbeth's good fortune could have come from foulplay on Macbeth's part.

First - do not use sparknotes. it somewhat is efficient at cases, even though it would not constantly supply what you quite could desire to recognize. No concern Shakespeare is unquestionably a shaggy dog tale. 2nd: the respond haha. somewhat, interior the conflict, Macbeth has been averting Macduff, because of fact he exchange into advised by using the 1st apparition to "pay attention Macduff. pay attention the Thane of Fife". He has been two times as careful approximately averting him because of fact the 0.33 apparitions prophecy got here authentic: "Macbeth shall never vanquish'd be till great Birnam wood to extreme Dunsinane hill shall come against him" (the infantrymen cut back branches from Birnam wood to conceal themselves on their march to Dunsinane). top then, the only protection Macbeth had exchange into the prophecy that "None of female born shall harm Macbeth" (he did not yet recognize that Macduff exchange right into a C-section). So his first line is asserting that (quite of course) out of each and every person I quite have prevented you. His 2nd line "yet get the back" is his attempt to not combat Macduff. "My soul is only too lots charg'd with blood of thine already" is giving the reason of his attempt to not combat Macduff. "blood of thine" capacity Macduffs spouse and family members (not actually Macduffs blood). "My soul is only too lots charg'd" could desire to intend that he's accountable of laying off the blood of Macduff (lower back, Macduffs family members, not the blood of the guy himself) already (not unavoidably feeling accountable, yet is accountable in having been to blame for the murders). So, in finished, Macbeth is asserting "of each and every person I quite have prevented you the main. yet do not combat me, i'm already accountable of the blood of Macduffs." wish this helps :)

At this site, you'll find the complete text of Shakespeare's play, side by side with a modern English paraphrase or "translation" that can help you understand it better:

http://nfs.sparknotes.com/macbeth/

Macbeth stood him up