Music in relation to religion?

I have this really strange biased in my mind that type of faith, or lack there of has its own musical taste. I know its bad. I shouldn't. But I do.

Like atheists listen to metal, Christians listen to Christian rock or gospel music, Muslims listen to those drums and songs about the prophet, Hindu's listen to the music you always see into those bollywood movies when they are at the temples. I have no idea about the Jewish faith.. Hmm.. Clearly didn't think this through. Anyways, want to kill of this ridiculous concept in my mind.

So does you faith affect your music? What kind of music do you like? And what religion (or not) are you a part of? (only if your comfortable saying so).

This and I need new music, recommendations are always good. =]

LOL I just said I had this silly concept in my mind and I didn't like it myself so thats why I'm asking. I don't like biased opinions any more than anyone else. Everyone gets surprised at my taste, I'd like people to surprise me.

Frank SDA you just proved why my biased existed in the first place.

Zeph Y- Lol.. no kidding. I just never thought about it. The others I have seen first hand. Love most of those by the by =] Jewish actors and singers are quite talented.

Favorite Answer

Actually no. Music is an individual taste. Yes I am Christian and no I do not listen to Gospel and Christian Rock I find it offensive and annoying. I love classical music and a variety of other music. Metal is not one of them. I don't like the Contemporary stuff either the so called artists are talentless and useless with not an ounce of love or passion for their art only for the money that people are dumb enough to serve up to them. music today has lost its passion and enjoyment.

Music can do so much it can take you to war or bring you peace, It can send you into the heights of passion or the depth of despair. Or it can simply irritate you to the point where you would rather listen to a Talk station as opposed to a music one. Music lets all boundaries vanish and can unite nations. It also tell people a lot about the time it has been composed in and about the world at that time in history. But at the end of the day it is a very personal choice and what makes you feel good about yourself.

Edit: just so you know some of the greatest musicians, singers, composers in the world have been Jewish. They have contributed a vast amount to the art world.

Zeph y: No Maddona does not count, the Jewish faith does not recognize the form she uses. besides she is the biggest hypocrite of the lot. (didn't like her in the 80's still don't like her today) She needs to grow up and accept that she is no longer 20.

Source(s): Passionate about Music
  • Tiger

I once met a missionary. He must have been in Africa around 1950-60. He was totally convinced that drums was from the devil. And why? Of cause drums was used to call on different spirits in the villages he visited. The first time I used a drum in our local praying house, (I was around 15) some elders come and say it was terrible, but the singing of the two girls was fine. :) I still remember that day!

Now days no one care so much as long as the message is primary, and the hearths of the performers are up to praise God.

Music can get you in a certain mood, and I still like ABBA. Because I grow up with them. I am a Christian but I do not think my faith affect my music. More if I know it is a so called satanic group playing, or the text is totally demonic. Hope I make sense.

I was brought up with the Bible, became a Christian in my mid-twenties, and have been an active Christian for over 30 years now. I have never listened to "Christian" rock/gospel music. I choose to listen to Classical music - Beethoven, Mozart, Sibelius, John Field etc. Right now, Classic FM radio is playing as I'm on my computer (British station). I'm not a Catholic, though Classic FM is basically a Catholic station - when it comes to creepy monastic chanting, I just switch off. There's one dirge sung a lot - it has 17 verses and refrains - so the radio stays off for nearly 20 minutes for that one! So obviously I don't like ALL Classical music, but 95% of it.

Jewish people, for your information, are fairly spectactularly gifted with musical talent, as a nation. You will find their music deeply moving and they cover a wide range of styles.

• Zeph Y

2 of the Beastlie Boys were Jewish. So was Sammy Davis Jr. Hmmm. Paula Abdul is Jewish. Oh So is Bob Dylan. Madonna practices Kabbalah, does that count? Pink, Lisa Loeb, Princess Superstar(tech-house) and Gene Simmons(KISS) are Jewish.

Im not seeing any real connection there.

My personal preference is varied and random. From German CyberTrance to Jamaican Roots reggae to EuroCandy Pop to American Industrial sounds. In my car I'm usually listening to 80's classic rock (both American and Brit Invasion or Mod rock). My faith is as varied as my musical styles.

I am a devoted christian and I listen to everything except Christian music!

I like Korn, Lil Wayne, Basshunter, Eminem, Audioslave, chiddy Bang, AWOLNATION, Nirvana, The offspring, The shins, The Police/Sting...

Lately i have been into a lot of alternative rock.

I think People of different faiths listen to dif music cause they can relate to the feeling of the music. Christians like Christian music... cause it is positive. Some Atheist may listen to metal cause it gives off a godless spirit?? I really couldn't say. Personally I don't listen to Christian music cause to me it is repetitive and it is sometimes insincere.

I like everything

I some some country, I like some Christian song, I like metal, rock, etc.

.

Do you know who invented 'music' ?

Do you know what it was intended for ?

I believe that Music was created by God for us to praise His Holy Name, etc.

Lucifer was in charge of that department - and I think you can guess what happened.

After his discharge from heaven, he corrupted it to the horrible mess we now have !

Both the words and the melody have to be in unison and praise God, or it praises Satan !

.

Source(s): May God bless you as you study His Word <:(SDA)>< King James Bible

You can't say things like that. Atheists listen to this______, christians this_____, muslims this_____. Its stupid to assume so much of large groups of individuals. Not all these groups listen to what you specified. There is christian metal just to let you know.

• yeah you categorize a little too much. how about you just listen to the music you like, and hey, ill listen my own music.

am i missing anything?

Source(s): atheist ( i like rap and alternative)

I worship Gangsta Rap!! Thug life baby!!! Don't believe everything you read, alzay and weed!!