Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

let T1 be the linear transformation corresponding to a rotation by an angle fo theta(1) about the x-axis in?

let T1 be the linear transformation corresponding to a rotation by an angle fo theta(1) about the x-axis in R^3, and T2 the linear transformation corresponding to a rotation by an angle of theta(2) about the z-axis.

a)Compute the standard matrices for T1 and T2

b)For what values of theta(1) and theta(2) does T2*T1=T1*T2? [Hint: you will need to consider the different possible cases, and to know a little geometry.]

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The standard rotation in xy plane is given by the matrix { {cosθ,−sinθ}, {sinθ,cosθ} }.

In 3D this is seen as a rotation about OZ with the positive sense as anti-clockwise when viewed from the +z side of the origin. The same convention is applied to rotations about OX & OY.

The 3D matrix for this rotation about OZ is { {cosθ,−sinθ,0}, {sinθ,cosθ,0}, {0,0,1} }.

For OX or OY the matrix is similar with non-zero terms placed in suitable locations.

For a rotation θ₁ about OX, T₁ = { {1,0,0}, {0,cosθ₁,−sinθ₁}, {0,sinθ₁,cosθ₁} }

For a rotation θ₂ about OZ, T₂ = { {cosθ₂,−sinθ₂,0}, {sinθ₂,cosθ₂,0}, {0,0,1} }

( although not needed, note that a rotation about OY requires a change of sign of θ )

T₁T₂ = { { c₂, −s₂, 0 }, { c₁s₂, c₁c₂, −s₁ }, { s₁s₂, s₁c₂, c₁ } }

T₂T₁ = { { c₂, −c₁s₂, s₁s₂ }, { s₂, c₁c₂, −s₁c₂ }, { 0, s₁, c₁ } }

Equating corresponding unlike terms gives (i) c₁s₂ = s₂ (ii) s₁s₂ = 0 (iii) s₁ = s₁c₂

(ii) → s₁=0 or s₂=0

If s₁=0 (iii) is satisfied and θ₁=0,π

If θ₁=0 then (i) is true for all θ₂

If θ₁=π then (i) implies s₂=0 → θ₂=0,π

If s₂=0 there are similar results

∴ T₁T₂ = T₂T₁ if either of the rotations is zero or both of them are π

• 4 years ago

Set the 2nd equation such as y. y = 2x + 5 replace that into the 2nd equation for y and simplify. x^2 + (2x + 5)^2 = 25 x^2 + 4x^2 + 20x + 25 = 25 5x^2 + 20x + 25 = 25 be sure for x. I factored after subtracting 25 from the two aspects. 5x^2 + 20x = 0 5x(x + 4) = 0 x = 0 ; x = -4 replace the two 0 and -4 for x into between the equations. it extremely is greater available to be conscious the 2nd. y - 2(0) = 5 y = 5 ... y - 2(-4) = 5 y + 8 = 5 y = -3 Your very very final ideas are... (0, 5) and (-4, -3) it rather is unquestionably a line that intersects a circle 2 circumstances :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.