What is the difference between Ritalin LA and Concerta?

My doctor prescribed me Concerta back on the 17th of this month but unfortunately despite it being known to last 8 hours, it was only lasting 2-3 hours. So I went back and said I want to try Ritalin LA. My doctor didn't want to prescribe me Ritalin LA because he believes that Ritalin LA and Concerta are exactly the same. But I know someone who was on Concerta for a few months and it wasn't working properly for him, so he went on Ritalin LA and that lasts him all day.

What is the difference between Ritalin LA and Concerta, in terms of how they work? Is my doctor correct that they're the same?

Favorite Answer

they are brand names of methylphenidate, they are the same thing. But what you may ask about is the extended type. It releases slowly in the body so it will last longer. Or you may need more than one dose a day.

Also it depends on your age, the older you get, often these drugs will stop working and actually have the reverse effect. Tell your Dr about all this and see what he says.

Drug Digest or Web MD are good wed sites to search and learn about your meds, professional health care personnel use these sites in their day to day care.

Source(s): caretaker of the mentally/physically handicapped

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking methylphenidate?

Do not use methylphenidate if you have used an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days. A dangerous drug interaction could occur. MAO inhibitors include isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, tranylcypromine, and others.

You should not use methylphenidate if you are allergic to it, or if you have:

- glaucoma;

- a personal or family history of tics (muscle twitches) or Tourette's syndrome; or

- severe anxiety, tension, or agitation (stimulant medicine can make these symptoms worse).

Some stimulants have caused sudden death in certain people. Tell your doctor if you have:

- heart problems or a congenital heart defect;

- high blood pressure; or

- a family history of heart disease or sudden death.

To make sure this medicine is safe for you, tell your doctor if you or anyone in your family has ever had:

- depression, mental illness, bipolar disorder, psychosis, or suicidal thoughts or actions;

- motor tics (muscle twitches) or Tourette's syndrome;

- blood circulation problems in the hands or feet;

- seizures or epilepsy;

- an abnormal brain wave test (EEG); or

- a history of drug or alcohol addiction.

It is not known whether this medicine will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.

It is not known whether methylphenidate passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

Methylphenidate is not approved for use by anyone younger than 6 years old.

Concerta Online ---> http://concerta.w3org.pw/dex6t