What is the best conventional motor oil out there?

I have a 1984 Pontiac Firebird with just over 160000kms and want to start doing my own oil changes. I just want to know what the best conventional motor oil is because I want the car to last as long as possible. Thanks.

Best Answer

They are all the same oil. I've used semi-synthetic. Eventually I went back to what the manufacturer's oil.

My cars 110k 2001 civic. My mechanic friend prefers penzoil. I have another mechanic friend that just uses store brand and he uses the STP oil treatment, he drives a 1980 toyota pick-up, he bought it brand new.

Source(s): personal experience and automotive technology grad.

Any title manufacturer traditional oil. One is simply as excellent as the opposite. Costly artificial is not quite indispensable so long as you maintain up together with your general oil alterations. I tend to maintain my cars for an awfully long time. Almost always between 10 to fifteen years. Considered one of my automobiles is a 2000 Malibu that I bought new. It has about 200,000 miles on the odometer. Seeing that it used to be new i have consistently used any title company conventional motor oil. I alter the oil and filter each 3,000 miles. After 13 years and 200,000 miles, this auto does now not use a drop of oil between oil changes. It does no longer clatter or knock. I believe that changing the oil every 3000 miles is more primary than the brand. Recall this. If Valvoline was really advanced to Pennzoil or Castrol, all people would use Valvoline. No person would use Pennzoil or Castrol. Pennzoil or Castrol could be drive to stop making a product that nobody would buy. If Pennzoil or Castrol have been quite crap, they would have stopped making the product years ago. Swap the title manufacturers around on this illustration any means you like and the results stands out as the identical. By the way, what's improper with Quaker State? A further comparable motor oil.

• Ray

Any oil that is changed every 3,000 miles (don't know what the metric equivalent is). I use cheap WalMart oil (10-40) and Phram oil filters, but I mark the mileage on a tablet in the car and it gets changed at 3,000 miles.

Source(s): Shop Owner
  • Jason

Pennzoil, Castrol GTX, Mobil Super, Valvoline, and Havoline. I would use any of these brands of conventional motor oil. Truth be told, either one is just fine. As long as you change it on a regular basis. I change mine every 3,000 miles. If you love doing it then it doesn't seem excessive.