Confused about the artifact in Donnie Darko?

There are some parts I don't understand about the artifact. Ok, so a tangent universe is created and this has a copy of everything in the primary universe. The tangent universe had an error and created two jets. Would this mean there are 3 jets total? one in the primary universe, and two in the tangent... show more There are some parts I don't understand about the artifact. Ok, so a tangent universe is created and this has a copy of everything in the primary universe. The tangent universe had an error and created two jets. Would this mean there are 3 jets total? one in the primary universe, and two in the tangent universe? Was the jet from the future? The thing I'm mostly having trouble understanding is the whole glitch thing. I don't understand why sending the artifact to the primary universe will fix everything. Is it unstable because the jet incident never happened in the primary universe, but it did in the tangent universe? Does the event that happened in the tangent universe (the jet crash) have to happen in the primary universe? I'm guessing Donnie was able to send the jet back in time to the primary universe somehow and not the tangent.
Update: It's awesome. I need to see the director's cut. I understand it well but that pesky artifact is what I don't understand. I can't see how the artifact going to the primary universe will fix everything. I know that it will stop existence from falling into a black hole, but what about the artifact... show more It's awesome. I need to see the director's cut. I understand it well but that pesky artifact is what I don't understand. I can't see how the artifact going to the primary universe will fix everything. I know that it will stop existence from falling into a black hole, but what about the artifact having to be in the primary universe makes the difference. Did the artifact not exist in the primary universe and needed to?
Update 2: Thanks for the detail, I understand that but what I don't understand is why the artifact needs to be sent to the primary universe, what is its use there? Wouldn't that create a paradox? The jet would then be from a flight his mother was on she hasn't taken yet. Or has that not happened in the primary... show more Thanks for the detail, I understand that but what I don't understand is why the artifact needs to be sent to the primary universe, what is its use there? Wouldn't that create a paradox? The jet would then be from a flight his mother was on she hasn't taken yet. Or has that not happened in the primary universe yet? Wouldn't that mean that the jet has no existence at all?