Will the law ever change where staffing agencies can't hire people as independent contractors?

Most staffing agencies obtain contracts with various companies to provide personnel on a short-term basis. These staffing companies hire individuals as independent contractors. The problem is that these individuals may have no intention of indicating a sole proprietor status. They are also paid the same, possibly a bit more, as an company-employed person performing the same work. Yet because they are an independent contractor they must pay self-employment tax.

I would like to see the law change to force staffing agencies to have to pay that tax. If an individual does not inherently declare their actions to create a private company, then they should be considered a person employed by the staffing agency.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • michr
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

is this a question or an editorial?

you obviously don't understand the laws that are already in place, an employer (any employer) can not just decide to use ICs instead of employees, the work relationship dictates which they use based on the law, and the definition of employer, employee, work hours, etcetera....

most temp agencies do have employees they do NOT use independent contractors. as an employee of the temp agency you are protected like any other employee in any other business, in some cases you are better protected because as a temp employee you are considered co-employed by the agency and their client when it comes to laws that are based on the number of employees such as FMLA, COBRA, Title VII, etcetera.....

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

i might replace the regulation that criminals have extra rights than the victims..or so it sort of feels..i've got self belief you gave up your rights for a physically powerful existence once you probably did the crime..I hate that prisoners have a physically powerful existence and all of the basics of existence in a detention center inclusive of television,air con,warmth,good wholesome foodstuff etc. whilst the unfavorable people who did not something incorrect have a not undemanding time in basic terms having staple products...they get little help and paintings not undemanding for what they have.. that is one in each and every of my puppy peeves for confident!!! This regulation might desire to get replaced..The criminals that are got here across in charge might desire to be giving not something extra advantageous than a cellular and foodstuff and water and adequate warmth to maintain them alive,,,not something extra!!! No ask your self , it expenditures plenty to maintain criminals in detention center..and we the taxpayers might desire to pay for their living. i've got self belief there may well be alot much less crime...I mean the killers and toddler abusers and crimes like that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.