In the USA, do you read not-american literature? For example, Italian and European novels?

I know that when a foreign film or tv series is successfull, this is remade by Hollywood.

Is it the same for books?

Favorite Answer

Well, the book industry isn't built the same as TV or Hollywood. Books can't be purchased over boarders, unless you physically go to that country and buy it. So the only books that are available in the US are ones that are published by US publishers. Foreign films and TV series are more easily available through the internet and through online streaming services such as Netflix.

It's more difficult to buy non-american literature that hasn't been deemed popular enough to make money in the US market. I've read books that are quite popular that were written in other countries, such as Life of Pi, The Book Thief, Kite Runner. I've never read a book that doesn't have a US publisher.

I've never heard this theory before... it's kind of funny :) But I totally understand where it's coming from...

Yes, we read plenty of foreign books here where the only real changes made to it is the transition from whatever language it is to English. In fact, I took a class in high school that was composed completely of European literature. It's not uncommon.

Hope this helps!

• David

Right now I'm reading a novel translated from Swedish. I have also read French, Russian, Spanish and Japanese literature. And of course a lot of Brit Lit. Most high school students are required to read books that are not written by American Authors.

Americans typically read books published in America, mostly because they are available. However, I have read several british books. In some of them the publisher has released an "American" version, just because of the different words used in the countries, slang and such. I have also read an AuAustralianeries. But typically, it is not common for Americans to read foreign books that are not written in english.

Europeans are not from now on watching it from an American's vantage aspect. per chance some people are sorry that our grandparents emigrated to an section that is basically lifestyle-a lot less. per chance some people sense that we are lacking a lot in this lifestyle and lengthy for the traditions that were presented to this u . s . a . from Europe and then lost. Do you discover fault contained in the very indisputable reality that Walmart and consumerism in simple terms would not do it for us? Do you imagine all of us quite savor what united statesa. has develop into contained in the eyes of the international? One very last aspect...the subsequent time our mom tells us a narrative about the family individuals and traditions contained in the outdated u . s . a ., we are going to tell her to close up. we are no longer pleased with our roots. we are individuals. attempt to work out our aspect and prevent faulting us for yearning for what our family individuals once had.

EH....yes.

We get plenty of books from all over the world, but its all translated into English...not remade. Just translated.

No, usually not.