Internet Explorer ignores CSS style sheet...?

I am designing a website and using CSS media queries in an external style sheet to render it differently depending on viewers screen size. I have been testing it as I go along in Chrome and it has been working fine, however just accidentally opened with IE and noticed none of the CSS is registering at all. For example I have a row of four images which I'm using as links in Chrome they are resized, positioned, and have an opacity (All determined on the syle sheet) however in IE they just start top left and run across the page at default size and in the order they appear in html.

I am still only part way through both the CSS and HTML at the moment so both are messy and confusing as only really a draft so far to see what works, so it could just be a glitch in my typing. However given everything is fine on Chrome and nothing is fine on IE I was wondering if there is a known problem here, and if so a work round... It looks like IE is just ignoring the <link rel="stylesheet" href="ginberlinorig.css" type="text/css" media="all" /> command completely.

Favorite Answer

It's an issue with IE8 and below... it won't recognize the CSS within the media queries. There is a JavaScript library you can install to help make it work for users who have JavaScript at:

http://code.google.com/p/css3-mediaqueries-js/

Hope this helps!

At the moment, Internet Explorer is not compatible with CSS3. Internet Explorer 10, however, is. I know this because I have the Windows 8 preview on my computer, which comes with IE10, and I have it has no problem rendering the CSS. In the mean time, you can create a separate stylesheet for IE9-.