Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 8 years ago

Why are Native Americans discriminated against? HELP ASAP PLEASE?

I have to write a report by this Friday about native american discrimination, but I can't get straight answers, can someone please help me with the following questions (with references pls)?

1 - How are they discriminated against?

2 - Other problems they face

3 - Their struggles and how they deal with them

I have to write a 5-6 page report about this, and it's college level, so please help!!

I did google it, which is how I haven't been able to get straight answers, they are all about American history of it, i'm Canadian and there's no much about how they are discriminated against in today's world...otherwise I wouldn't have written on here, I would have used what google gave me

note: it says why ARE, not why WERE...i can't find specifics about why they are STILL discriminated against, I know a few things, but i need the big picture. please don't ask me to google it, because I now know the entire history...i more need to know HOW they are discriminated against is the right words

Favorite Answer

Here are a few links to some of the issues Native Americans face.

U.S. Department of Justice

The rate of violent victimization of American Indians is well above that of other U.S. racial or ethnic subgroups and is more than twice as high as the national average. This disparity in the rates of violence affecting American Indians occurs across age groups, housing locations, income groups, and sexes.

American Indians are more likely than people of other races to experience violence at the hands of someone of a different race.

VIOLENT CRIMES - (victimizations per 1,000)

Americans - 50

American Indians – 124

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/aic.pdf

=======

More than 1 in 3 Native American women will be raped in her lifetime. Data collected by the Department of Justice shows that up to 86% of perpetrators are non-Indian.

One in three Indigenous women face rape in US

http://www.amnesty.org.au/svaw/comments/2241/

============

The incarceration rate of Native Americans is 38% higher than the national rate.

The U.S. Commission on Civil Rights attributes this higher rate to differential treatment by the criminal justice system, lack of access to adequate counsel and racial profiling. Law enforcement agents arrest American Indians and Alaskan Natives at twice the rate of the greater U.S. population for violent and property crimes.

On average, American Indians receive longer sentences than non-Indians for crimes. They also tend to serve longer time in prison for their sentences than non-Native Americans.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/native-americans-a...

Incarceration of Native Americans and Private Prisons

http://www.lenapeprograms.info/Articles/Prison.htm

=============

Agricultural data from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for Native American Reservations reveal that non-native agricultural producers dominate on most Native American Reservations in the United States. Native Americans represent only 1.6% of the farmers and ranchers operating on Reservation lands.

The unequal land-use patterns seen on reservations today is a direct outcome of discriminatory lending practices, land fractionation and specifically Federal policies over the last century that have excluded native land owners from the ability to utilize their lands while at the same time opening it up to non-native farmers and ranchers

http://www.prlog.org/10386768-usda-census-reveals-...

========

U.S. government policy toward Native Americans reflects one theme: “gain control of tribal assets”.

• Federal Indian law governs the tribal assets,

• Federal agencies administer oversight and manage the assets

• any recourse that pertains to beneficiary rights or fiduciary dispensation is locked within the U.S. “federal courts”.

Congress has systematically removed assets from tribal ownership, reduced tribal control of assets that American Indians and Alaska Natives rightfully own and redirected the benefits to outside interests.

Land rich and dirt poor: the story of Indian assets

http://www.nrfc.org/ln/documents/adamson_landrich_...

.

• Look up Native American history. There is no way you're not getting straight answers from googling it. The discrimination and problems they face are clearly written in history books, essays and statistics. Hell, I'm surprised you haven't come across one of the many Native American users on here! you would definitely get a better answer from an individual then us. Hell, books will only tell you parts of everything.

EDIT: Okay, from my understanding, a lot live on reservations some don't. I can tell you a lot have become alcoholics and diabetics (statistically speaking) being introduced to liquor by Europeans and being forced to abandon their traditional diets. They are not seen as the original Americans, no matter if it's the U.S., Mexico, Canada, or South America. They have higher unemployment rates. They are generalized as being one big group, when in reality it's many tribes, nations, languages and cultures.

• ?

No I might in no way be deliberately discriminatory towards them no. Once in a while Indian will come out as a slip of the tongue, on the grounds that that is how numerous American kids are taught. But not ever once I say it do I mean disrespect. I'd love to satisfy extra Native American individuals to be honest, because i have visible so few in my lifetime thus far. I'm additionally part Native American myself, from the Cherokee tribes.

You don’t need to exercise for hours on end. Short, sharp sets of exercise will produce better results should you work hard. Get a bypassing rope, skip for two a few minutes, do push ups for about a minute, skip for two minutes, rest for starters minute. Then change the push up to something else like sit ups along with do the set again. Repeat it five times and it’s a quick, effective workout that will progress results than a long operate or swim.

You don’t need to exercise for hours on end. Short, sharp sets of exercise will produce better results in the event you work hard. Get a bypassing rope, skip for two a few minutes, do push ups for a minute or so, skip for two minutes, rest for starters minute. Then change the push nearly something else like sit ups and also do the set again. Repeat it five times and it’s a simple, effective workout that will progress results than a long manage or swim.

You don’t need to exercise for long periods of time. Short, sharp sets of exercise will produce better results should you work hard. Get a missing rope, skip for two a few minutes, do push ups for 60 seconds or so, skip for two minutes, rest for just one minute. Then change the push nearly something else like sit ups and do the set again. Repeat it five times and it’s a simple, effective workout that will progress results than a long run or swim.

Doing work for home is a fantastic deal and not a great deal of individuals get to do it even if they want this.

Music making you eat more. According to a survey by the journal Psychology as well as Marketing, soft, classical tunes encourage you to definitely take time over your supper, so you consume more foodstuff. So, switch off – silence can make you more aware of what you’re putting in your mouth.

• elena

Set performance-based goals. Always set yourself incrementally larger goals each week to make sure you’re engaged and have something to strive for. Each little achievement is also a reward that you’re going in the correct direction. From doing 10 more squats to mastering a new yoga pose, whatever floats your own boat.

Don’t count calories after you eat. Check the calories before you dive in and you might find it puts you away from that extra chocolate chip dessert.