Can you get sued for accusing an athlete of doping?

Long story short, I wrote that I think Nadal is on drugs.

On a Spanish newspaper's website, in the comments section of an article. I got a private message from a furious Spanish fan, saying he reported my comment to Nadal's lawyers and that I'm going to need a lawyer.

Say what?

Favorite Answer

you are only free to voice your opinion when it happens to be true

if you believe your opinion is correct and it is not voicing it can bring you legal troubles

grow up and if you won't verify the facts learn to keep your opinion to yourself

The likely that it could be libel is very limited, because no one is going to believe it and therefor there will be no damage. Now if lots of people believed it and it was more published.. then you could get into trouble.

Note, if you express things as an opinion... not portrayed as fact, you can say whatever you like.

It might be considered slander/defamation. But I doubt anything will happen because its not like you wrote an article and you said you think he is on drugs. I doubt this case will get anywhere.

• Beth

It is slander to accuse someone of something defamatory without proof. So yes, if they cared enough, they could.

yes for defamation of character..however, you would have to be a high profile individual, and a lot of ppl would have to buy into it in order for it to be relevent..sounds like this guys just trying to scare you...and did so successfully...

Depends; Do you have any proof ? You COULD be liable !