Is it illegal to date someone that is a year younger then you in canada?

Me and my mom got into an argument. And she was mad at me. And out of the blue she asked me who i hung out with today and i said my friend Kayla. and she said how old is she? i said 15 shes like shes too young dont date her. Im 16. I think the only reason she said this because she was mad. Is it illegal?

• bw022
    Favorite Answer

There are no age laws in Canada with respect to dating. The age of consent is 16, but there is a five year close-in-age exception on 14 and 15 year-olds, so she could legally have sexual relations with someone whose 20th birthday was after hers. (Age was raised to 16 and the exception added in the 2006 Tackling Violent Crime Act, passed 2008).

Whether your mother thinks 15 is too your do date is her opinion. Many parents set limits at which they are comfortable allowing their children to date. However, legally, you can date anyone of any age.

• ?

Of course not, why would it be illegal? There is no law about age differences when dating, at all. I don't know what the age of consent in your area is, though, so if you're planning on having sex you may want to take a look at that.