Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 8 years ago

How come I can't insert a tampon?

Hi, I want to start using tampons, but every time I try it is super uncomfortable and doesn't go in all the way. I heard if it's inserted correctly you shouldn't even feel it. Is it normal to have trouble the first few times, and what are some ways to make it a little easier to get a tampon in?

Wow, that was a pretty useless answer... any actual help is greatly appreciated, ie tips on how to make it easier and any other advice you can give.

Thanks Louise & EAL

Favorite Answer

If you aren't already, I would also recommend using tampons with applicators, as this can really help. Make sure you're only using tampons when you're on your period though, as inserting and removing them when the vagina has no lubrication is extremely painful and can be damaging.

It might also be that you're using the wrong size. Even though doctors say that the size of the tampon has nothing to do with the size of your vagina (tampons are measured in how heavy your flow is) larger tampons, especially for first time users, can be really uncomfortable. So try using a lighter absorbency and changing it more often.

Another way to help with inserting them (this was how I did it my first time, like it said in the leaflet :P) is to close the toilet seat and lift you leg onto the seat (so you're standing with one leg raised). Then insert the tampon aiming, as was said before, towards your back and not straight up. If you push the applicator and it feels like it's being blocked, try adjusting the "aim" if you like. You'll gradually get the hang of it.

Yes it is a pain the first few times you do it but it will get more easy. A tip... Sit on the toilet with your legs as far apart as possible and aim the tampon towards your back and not straight up. Keep trying. Also you can try the slim ones as you are first starting out and try different brands. some are more easy to get in than others. I find that Tampax (other than pearl) are not easy to get in but Playtex are. Plastic applicators are also the easiest.

If ur vagina is dry when u insert the tampon it will feel uncomfortable. If u can feel the tampon then thats means u haven't inserted it further enough

alright as you know something much bigger will one day go in there and compared to a tampon well you can do this - just keep trying