Anyone ever notice that when Mad TV became popular decent television program rapidly went extinct?

I don't want to be too negative or insult anybodies person tastes, but Mad TV just seems so stupid. I mean, it seems between 1999-2002, there just started to be this massive rise in popularity of stupid television. I've never thought of TV as all that intellectually driven as a whole, but there were always a number of shows that definitely had some clever writers. I'll admit, a couple of skits from Mad TV were original, such as "Stewart". But, it doesn't hold a candle to SNL prior to the end of the era Will Ferrell left.

Chris Rock, Mike Meyers, John Belushi, Adam Sandler, Eddie Murphy, Will Ferrell... They were actually pretty comical. They had a certain quality to them that Mad TV just doesn't portray. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying SNL and the writers behind it engineered a show which requires any great amount of thinking to be able to laugh at. It's not Voltaire. But, somewhere around the turn of the Millenium, everything got stupider. Maybe people buying into the Y2K scare knocked us back a few notches in original writing or something. But, you can't compare the originality of the early cartoons like Roadrunner, Bugs Bunny, and dare even some shows up until the 90's like Hey Arnold! and Doug. They had substance to them. I can still watch those as an adult today and be entertained. Good programming is good programming.

But, now most things are generic, stupid, and really just an overplaying of sex, violence, foul language, and slapstick. What happened to TV? I miss good television shows. The 90's seem to mark the last era of decent media. Now the last frontier to find things interesting on a screen is the internet. Does anyone else feel that the quality of TV is seriously lacking and that the 90's were the last real era of decent TV? There's some good programs today, sure. But... Not as often and not usually like they used to be. I was born in 1990. So, I'm just saying what I've noticed. I'd take most of the shows from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's over almost any show new today. You can't compare the old Twilight Zone's to the X-Files. What happened? I mean, MTV doesn't play music anymore. And when they do, it's always the same crap. They had to start an MTV 2 which actually does play some music and classic stuff, like Beavis and Butthead and Celebrity Deathmatch. And even MTV 2 is starting to suck.

Best Answer

I most certainly did.

I don't think you're SUPPOSED to compare the Twilight Zone to The X-Files. I like both shows a lot, but they're totally different. I don't think The X-Files was ever intended to be the new Twilight Zone.

Honestly, I didn't read your entire post, but I agree that a lot of current TV shows are pretty lame. You can't hate on The X-Files though :)

Not me, and I have been watching TV since July 17, 1946