What is your personal opinion on MODERN (illiterate) mispellings of names?

Alyvia instead of Olivia

Madalyn instead of Madeleine

Kaytlen instead of Caitlin

And so on and so forth?

• jake
    Favorite Answer

It's suppose to be fun and different, but it ends up cursing people with names that to one can spell/pronounce.

• 4Red

Some look ridiculous.

Some I like better than the original spellings.

It all depends on the name and how someone spells it.

Madalyn-I don't find anything wrong with that spelling.

Alyvia-I don't like it but at least you can still read it.

Kaytlen-That spelling looks weird to me but there are so many other ways people spell Caitlin and I don't have any issue with them...Katelyn, Kaitlyn, Caitlyn are all fine to me.

I really don't like ones when people were trying to be different but they spell it so it doesn't even make phonetic sense. This bothers me more than just a different spelling that you are still able to read.

I'm ok with some flexibility in terms of spellings, but sometimes it gets out of hand. It would take me a few tries to figure out the pronunciation of "Alyvia", but "Madalyn" I can see as being fairly reasonable. While I don't mind some individuality, the child will spend a lifetime trying to make sure people get their name either spelled or pronounced correctly. Parents have to take that into consideration when writing out the child's name.

Some of these drive me INSANE. I HATE Madalyn. What the HECK? Also Kaytlen!!! I like Caitlin because it looks the way it's supposed to be pronounced! I know a girl who knows a girl who spells her name Katlyn and it drives me nuts because thats not Kate-lyn, it's Cat-lyn, and just…ew.

Not a fan. Original spellings are my favorite.

BUT I do like Madelyn/Madalyn (I don't feel like these are modern spellings because my great great grandmother's name is Madelyn.)

Some that bug me like no other:

- Zoey instead of Zoe

- Rylee instead of Riley

- Emilee instead of Emily

- Grayce instead of Grace

Some that don't bother me at all:

- Any form of Caitlin. I don't know why, but I've gotten used to it.

- Any spelling of Michaela besides Michaela. I really don't like the original spelling of this name.

In conclusion, I'm not all for the trendy name spellings. I just feel bad for the children :'(

Good luck!

• shanda

Some are okay, some are just nuts. Alyvia...no way. thats just crazy. the rest are okay. I named my daughter Britney. I loved the name and always have but dh and i wanted a different spelling. Yes, I have to correct people on her spelling. I've even been told I was stupid for spelling it that way, but it was our choice. Honestly,In all the ways of spelling Britney, i liked this spelling better. Its phonetically correct anyway.

• Sarah

I would never give my own children wrong spellings of names but I wouldn't say I have a problem with it. It's the parents choice I suppose.

• sydney

This is very common now, and I personally think it's fine. It's very unique, and it's not keeping everything all the same. It's edgy, and I like that kind of edgy spark to a name!

I like it, but some people can go too overboard with it and try their best to making something super unique. Eh, too each their own though.