Hello!

What is at the "edge of space"?

I would like to know.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The edge of space is defined differently in different disciplines.

Typically 100 km is often used as the edge of the atmosphere.

But sound can be conducted at elevations of up to ~ 140 miles.

There are traces of our atmosphere at distances up to ~ 6000 miles.

The composition of the gasses (or plasmas) depends on which elevation you chose to use.

--

If your question is about the edge of space-time, there is only one known edge, the Big Bang.

For the composition of the Universe then, refer to wikipedia. (hot dense opaque energy field)

Other "edges" would be the event horizons of all the existing black holes. Virtually all of them have an accretion disk (actually I should only speak about stellar black holes, I'm not certain if galactic sized ones also have accretion disks). The accretion dis is composed of anything close enough to the black hole to be gravitationally captured by it. The accretion disk is extremely hot and radiates x- and gamma rays.

• Login to reply the answers
  • goring
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

It would be the skin of a space particle.Presently the LHC experiments at CERN is trying to isolate a particle which they consider to be a Higgs Boson. What kind of skin a Higgs Boson has ,is something to be determined.

The Universe was created as a conservative system. Which consists of a space structure and atomic structure of mass.Thus No mass including light can escape the event Horizon of the Universe which is the actual boundary of the containment of the physical Universe.

Source(s): General relativity Planck Telescope images me own little brains
  • Fitz
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Think of the universe as an ocean. Imagine there is no land on this ocean planet we're imagining. Just like a fish would swim forever and not come to an "edge" of the ocean, you cannot ever come to an edge of the universe.

• pellek
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

MA: on the element of the sting, because of fact somebody ruined me on pink Floyd to be easy. BA.... Starship Trooper and you and that i Time And A observe quickly awaken on the element of the sting i've got considered All good people The Gates Of Delerium proprietor Of A Lonely coronary heart Shoot extreme purpose Low BA2: Sheep Astronomy Domine concepts harm/Eclipse 2 Suns interior the sundown Fearless BA3: ok BA4: SF Sorrow Is Born - the beautiful issues

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John R
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Which edge of space?

There is the edge of space where the earths atmosphere ends.

And if you are looking for and end to space forget it because you will not believe this, there is no end to space.

It just keeps on going and going and going, hard for you to believe this, isn't it?

Source(s): kentuckiana-astronomical-society@yahoogroups.com
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

I'm not sure what you're reffering to, If you mean Edge of the Atmosphere, Here's an article about that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kármán_line

If you are reffering to the edge of the Universe, There is no edge because it is always expanding.

• Irv S
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

For about the 10^27 time:

THERE IS NO "EDGE".

• 8 years ago

Boba Fett

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.