M.
M. asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 9 years ago

Is there an easy standard to measure vacuum cleaners?

Hi,

I've just bought a new Dyson D35 and it wasn't as powerful as I expected it to be. Admittingly, I comparing it to our old Panasonic upright but given the Dyson is more expensive and a newer design, I would have though it would have some detectable difference.

Is there an industry standard measure the suction of a vacuum? EX. would a higher amp mean more sucking power? I've looked at a lot of Amazon reviews, which was why I chose the Dyson.

Thank you for your help.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like you need to return it! I have used my parents and will never buy one. They really are a waste of money. If you are looking for a different one, I really like my shark. It swivels too so it is comparable to the dyson for manuverability! Oh, and way less than have the cost!

To measure the suction you would use a suction guage which measures in inches of waterlift

But more important than suction is airflow

Airflow is measured in cubic feet per minute or CFM typically the higher the CFM the better it will clean

in addition to airflow the other important factor for cleaning carpets is agitation which does not have a unit of measure (to my knowledge)

I know Dyson likes to use airwatts to measure both suction and airflow Airwatts= (Suction X Airflow) /8.5. So in this case the DC-33 has 240 airwatts and while i do not know the exact number for it's suction they have strong suction about on the level with a filterqueen which pulls close to 100 so lets use 95 as an example Airwatts = 240 Suction 95" Your airflow would then be 21cfm

I would probably stick with your Panasonic but if you are really wanting a new vacuum there are much better performers out there for the same price or less than the Dyson (Lindhaus Activa) (Sebo Essential G) Some of the newer panasonics are pretty impressive too

Hi there,

DC35 is a lightweight cordless machine designed for quick cleanups on hard floors and carpeting, as well as other cleaning tasks around the home - furniture, stairs, inside the car etc. It's not intended as a complete replacement for a mains-powered upright or canister machine.

We'd like to discuss your concerns with you, so please give the Dyson Canada Helpline a call on 1-877-397-6622, or email us at service@dysoncanada.ca

We'll look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Jack

Dyson Online Customer Support

• ?

A lot of people have bought dyson

and then been disappointed with them

They are supposed to have a powerful motor

its this that gives you a better suction

• Shane

Dyson Suck. No pun intended. They are definitely not worth the extra you pay for them. To answer your question there is no industry standard. Every company has their own way of measuring cleaning efficiency.

This article seems to cover the subject pretty well. http://www.ristenbatt.com/smpower.mv