Could this be classified as an eating disorder?

It's almost like borderline anorexia, I'm an extremely picky eater in that most foods I find disgusting, and just don't want to eat. I'll cook almost any type of food, I just won't eat it. I usually only have one or two meals a day (definitely just one when I was in school) and it's usually really small, I can usually go a day without eating, I'm trying to get better and eat more, I just don't want to, I get sad sometimes when I eat, and then food tastes horrid. Sometimes I even won't eat just because it's in front of people, my friends.

So, anyone else with this little problem? And what IS this little problem?

Best Answer

This could be a number of things.

There are a few elements to the types of eating disorders you're thinking of - people can have any of the following: self-medication, self-punishment, control, and the desire to be sexually attractive.

Not wanting to eat in front of people itself isn't necessarily concerning. A lot of girls do not like eating in front of people. Self-esteem issues, yes. Psychopathology, not always.

I'm not usually the type to dredge up childhood psychological stuff, but how did your parents approach feeding you as a child? Where they harsh with you when you were young and forced you to eat? Or was it the opposite - where they so lax with you to the point you weren't trying new foods?

Another thing - depression can kill appetites without inducing Anorexia Nervosa. Of course those two diagnoses frequently coexist, but it may be depression alone. I eat little when I go through depression because eating just feels horrible. My stomach hurts, I feel tired, the food tastes nasty, eating takes too much effort, blargh.

Anyway, there are treatments for what you're going through. Your family doctor or pediatrician can refer you to someone. While mental health workers are required by law to provide legal guardians of children under the age of eighteen with all details of therapy sessions if requested, most therapists will do everything in their power to set a boundary of only disclosing what is said in therapy as required by law or if he/she feels including parents in a specific issue will allow progress.

I'm not sure what I'd be called, but if you aren't eating as much as you should be, then it is some type of eating disorder which could possibly lead to mild-moderate anorexia. For instance, going a day without food and that being no problem is an issue. I hate to be all cliche but if you feel like you aren't eating enough then "go see a professional" like a nutritionist, dietitian or a psychiatrist. If you decide that you don't want to, well, that's what google is here for.