Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

Writing help: What does one do after an incredibly traumatizing event?

In a story I'm writing something terrible happens to a loved one of the main character, leaving the character alone and in incredible shock. As I was writing I found myself stuck on the conundrum of what one is supposed to DO when they quite literally lose everyone they cared about. Right now he's in shock but then what if he gets hungry? I find it hard to believe someone can make a BLT after something like that. Any ideas would be appreciated, thank you.

Best Answer

I was reading a book called Into the Wild, based off a true story about a guy that went and died in the Alaskan wilderness. Now the sister explains what she did when she heard that her brother had died. According to her, she started screaming and crying hysterically for 5 hours. Then she collected herself and drove to her parents house. And obviously the family was still a mess for quite some time

So no, when you're in shock, you dont get hungry or sleepy or whatever. It's like at the moment, that shock is you're entire existence until enough time passes for the person to collect themselves.

The person will have severely decreased appetite. Sometimes they will feel some hunger, but yet they still won't want anything to eat. They will walk into the kitchen and look through all the food they have and even if they have a freezer, fridge, and cabinets stuffed with food so that you can barely get the doors closed, nothing will be appealing to them. They might eat a small amount of this or that and then return to the living room or bedroom and their grief. The person will start to feel weak after a few days of this and force himself to eat something more than those few small amounts each day, but still not as much as he would normally eat. The next day he will go back to not eating or barely eating and continue this for a number of days until he feels too weak and forces himself again to eat. This may continue for weeks or even months until whatever event occurs that allows for healing.

Source(s): real life experience of this

Well, you have to really think about someone that you've lost or something you've lost and how you felt afterward and how you dealt.

For example, I lost a dear friend to a house fire a couple years ago. I cried for days. I was a mess. I barely ate and when I did, it was just like cereal or some kind of cold cut sandwich. And everything tasted bland, especially the food at her funeral service. I dressed in black and cried in bed. That's all I did besides shower, go to the bathroom, sleep, and eat. But I eventually stopped crying and went on with my life because I knew that what my friend would have wanted me to do.

So, for your character, when it comes to eating, or rather living in general. When you lose someone you loved a lot, at first, you barely live...you just exist, then you find your reason to go on.

• Cody

Sometimes, things like that take a long time to settle in, and the person will be able to function normally for...maybe a day, or something. But as the reality of it sets in, they might start breaking out in random crying fits, and will avoid social interactions at all costs. The extreme depression might lead to temporary (or, in rare cases, permanent or almost permanent) catatonia, in which a person does little more than exist, breathe, stare, and think, but refuse to do ANYTHING which can lead to a total lack of motivation and a lack of reacting to stimuli.

If the person is strong-willed, they'll be able to eat in small portions, on occasion they'd probably throw it up, but if their mind is intact, they'll be smart enough to drink a lot of water and eat small snacks. Sleep will undoubtedly be plagued by dreams of that person (it's happened to me in times like that, but not as extreme as any position mentioned here), or sleep will be scattered, and very light, if there is any sleep at all.

Accepting the reality of what has happened is probably the biggest part. Though death is a natural part of life, affection and attachment makes it so incredibly difficult for us to confront it or deal with it, or even conceive of a dearly loved one dying. So don't forget about that feeling of unreality and of feeling distanced from the world. It's hard to explain here, but hopefully this helps you!

Cheers!

most people go through a period of shock. either they become unable to function or weirdly as if on autopilot manage to go about their daily life but somewhat vacant eyes. our natural need for survival usually kicks in and things like eating happen, it might be something as complicated as a blt but a jar of pb and a spoon is easy enough. though it might take a few days for the stomach to override the lack of response of the mind.