Is okra something you like?

I like okra in soup. If you think it is slimy, try putting some in vegetable soup and see what a difference it makes. I fry it, cook it with tomatoes and onions, and use it in soup. How does everyone else eat it, or do you?

Best Answer

Being 100% Southern, we both grow and eat okra. It is such a versatile veggie, and unless it's breaded/fried, it is virtually calorie free.

To avoid the slime effect, add your okra to soups and stew in the last 4-5 minutes of cooking.

We are still getting about a quart every day or so from the garden.

Here's a few of the ways I use it:

Soups/stews

Tomatoes/okra and onions -simmered together

Placed on top of a good pot of fresh garden crowder peas and simmered until tender

Fried, of course ( Break one egg into a bowl of cut okra and stir to coat. Dredge in 1/2 flour and 1/2 corn meal mixture. Fry until lightly browned )

Source(s): Southern cook
  • LeRoy

I never ate okra until I moved to the southern states. I wouldn't touch boiled okra, too slimy, but I like it breaded and fried. I wouldn't add it to a vegetable soup but if someone else makes it, I'm fine with that.

I don't like when it's slimy. Lots of people here cook small pods with black eyed peas. Yuch, the peas definitely do not make it less slimy. I'll have to try adding the vegetable soup. Otherwise, I love it. I can't get enough of it fried or cooked with tomatoes and onions. You'll find even some on my plate when I eat at Golden Corral.

When I make veg soup, I try to put in it every vegetable known to man. Veg soup is the healthiest thing I make. I buy frozen cut up okra and add it to my soup. It's not slimy. Guess the slime is boiled away. I like it.

My introduction to okra was in gumbo so that's why I thought to add it to my soup ingredients. Never had it fried, but YGG's recipes sound interesting. Maybe I'll dare to try it sometime.

• Kai

Yea, love okra but seldom make it myself since the ones I find at the store are usually getting brown spots and edges already. My dad used to grow them; mom hates them so dad and I would eat all the okra. I love it in soups and stews. Love it as a side dish (went to a rib place and they made an amazing okra side dish). Love it breaded and fried. Love it just dredged in flour and fried. I've had it other ways but not recently, seems like in my area it's just not used much unfortunately.

• Power

I have not had it in so long I can't remember if I liked it or not. I think I had fried okra and liked it. I think I had gumbo and that it was in that. I want to get into eating more vegetables so this is an interesting vegetable to make it not get boring. I have been eating Raman noodles and adding mixed vegetables and so okra will be a good addition with some diced tomatoes, etc.

• Diana

The first and only time I ever ate okra was thirty years ago while I was living in New Orleans for a temporary job assignment. It was in gumbo. I didn't like it at all. It was never available in the northeast where I live, but now I see it in the frozen food section. I just don't have any desire to give it another try.

• -

I like it breaded and fried Southern style and also pickled okra. Was served a chicken-okra tagine once and it was good, not slimy like I thought it would be.

• Larry

I like okra fried, boiled, pickled, in soup, cooked with purple hull peas or any other way you can think of.I've got to go to the garden and pick some again this morning.

• fcm703

Not for eating. But long ago as a boy I raised okra because the seeds were a good fit in my BB gun.