Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 9 years ago

I'm in Canada, and I want to know the age limit to date?

I'm 20, and I think I've found the girl of my dreams, however I have always had this little worry of mine. She claims to be 18, however she hasn't showed any sign of evidence to prove otherwise. Even if I'm lucky, and turns out to be 16 if that legal? Because I think she is 16, I over heard one of her friends talking about how old she was. I don't feel like being screwed over nor do I like being lied to. I love her so much, and it would be a disappointment if she was illegal to me. We haven't had sex for this very reason because I'm scared. I avoided all situations to ignore it. I need to be positive this is legal, please I need help quickly! She is young, so I am not looking for sex, I will wait until I know she is ready. After all, her parents would probably kill me, unless of course she didn't get pregnant.

You haven't answered my question, is this LEGAL to engage in sexual intercourse? I am not syaing I will, but I need to play this safe, her parents ARE aware that we are dating, but they are unsure if this relationship is legal or not.

Favorite Answer

In Canada, the age of consent is 16. Which means that anyone 16 or older can consent to sex. There is no "age limit to date." There is of course the icky factor. If you're 20 and she is in highschool ... really? Find someone your own age to play with. Also use this handy rule: Half your age + 7 is youngest person you should date.

Source(s): 15 will get you 20.

The age of consent laws apply to all forms of sexual activity, ranging from sexual touching (e.g., kissing) to sexual intercourse.

What is Canada's age of consent?

The age of consent for sexual activity is 16 years. It was raised from 14 years on May 1, 2008 by the Tackling Violent Crime Act.

However, the age of consent is 18 years where the sexual activity "exploits" the young person -- when it involves prostitution, pornography or occurs in a relationship of authority, trust or dependency (e.g., with a teacher, coach or babysitter). Sexual activity can also be considered exploitative based on the nature and circumstances of the relationship, e.g., the young person's age, the age difference between the young person and their partner, how the relationship developed (quickly, secretly, or over the Internet) and how the partner may have controlled or influenced the young person.

to be safe refrain from all sexual contact at least until you see proof of age

photo ID is of course preferred

with you being 20 and her 16 or younger

you should probably avoid her

the possible risk is several years in Prison for sexual assault and a lifetime record as a sex offender

You're 20 and knows she has parents who know about you and you don't have the common sense to ask how old she is?

Some girls like to pretend older than they really are. I don't think they actually know the position they are putting the men in. I think they still think in childlike terms as if playing fantasy like in dolls. If she's lying, it's because she's still immature.

You have to ask. I know you're asking Y!A to get the legal information, but you should also just plain ol ASK to render the question either moot or relevant.

She cannot (CANNOT) be the girl of your dreams (goodness gracious) if you can't even open your mouth around the parents to ask about her, even if just to get to know them better as a family.

...

I liked your answer, T, but I think the general rule of 1/2 + 7 has an upper limit before it gets icky again. ;)

• Gazza

Under the criminal code of Canada it is legal for a 16 - 17 year old to have sexual activity with anyone who is not in a position of authority, such as a teacher, coach, doctor, lawyer.

Source(s): Web site. Justice for Children and Youth.
  • Ranger

The age to date is set by your mommy and the girls mommy. You can date as soon as they say you can.

Having sex is a different matter. If you have any reason at all to think she is lying to you about her age, ask to see her drivers license photo. Tell her that the drivers license reveals what a person really looks like when they are least prepared. At besides, you want to know what her birth day is so you can add it to your list of important dates.

Source(s): rc

It's ok if there us no sex