Are we supposed to be specific when repenting of our sins?

I always have been, just of bad things Ive either said or done, thought or reacted. Is that a good thing? Or is it pointless even being so thourough? Is it best to just leave it as plain and simple as "lord, forgive me for my sins" and voila? I prefer confessing my wrong doings so that I can be forgiven.

Favorite Answer

Repentance is a decision to IMMEDIATELY STOP DOING WHAT YOU WERE DOING, STOP SINNING and to follow Jesus. Repentance is not a process. If you repent, you are DONE with sin, you are finished with it, you don't want to do it any more, because you KNOW that the wages of sin is death, you have decided to follow Jesus and YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SIN ANY MORE. You HATE SIN, you CUT IT OFF! You GET RID OF IT! That is repentance.

SANCTIFICATION IS A PROCESS, that takes time, to cleanse and purify us. That takes time. But repentance takes place like a CUT-OFF, like you cut it off with a knife. You die to sin and you live for Christ! Paul explained this very nicely in Romans 6:2 "How shall we who died to sin still live in it? 3Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4Therefore WE HAVE BEEN BURIED WITH HIM THROUGH BAPTISM INTO DEATH, in order that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life." Through baptism we bury the old man of sin, he has DIED TO SIN and from that water comes a new man who is regenerated in Christ. That is why a person must REPENT FIRST BEFORE HE IS BAPTIZED. The old man must DIE, you must put to death the old man of sin and then you make a public confession that:"I am following Jesus! I am alive FOR Jesus. I am not dead in my sins any more. I am DEAD TO SIN but I am ALIVE FOR CHRIST!"

We read in verse 5: "For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall be also in the likeness of His resurrection, 6knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, that our body of sin might be done away with, that WE SHOULD NO LONGER BE SLAVES TO SIN; 7for he who has died is freed from sin." When you repent, you DIE TO SIN AND THEN YOU ARE FREE FROM SIN, YOU LIVE FOR JESUS. You come out of that water and you are a NEW MAN! You have died to sin and you are alive to Christ.

"8Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him. 10For the death that He died, He died to sin, once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11EVEN SO CONSIDER YOURSELVES TO BE DEAD TO SIN, BUT ALIVE TO GOD IN CHRIST JESUS. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body that you should obey its lusts, 13and DO NOT GO ON PRESENTING THE MEMBERS OF YOUR BODY TO SIN AS INSTRUMENTS OF UNRIGHTEOUSNESS; BUT PRESENT YOURSELVES TO GOD AS THOSE ALIVE FROM THE DEAD, AND YOUR MEMBERS AS INSTRUMENTS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS TO GOD. 14For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law, but under grace."

yes we are to be specific

1 john 1:9

Try some self accountability and don't do wrong things in the first place then you wont have to kid yourself by pretending to be sorry to an invisible man in the sky.

of course. repent from things you hardly ever do, but hold on to intellectual dishonesty and lying for christ. guard breasts on your journey

• anon

repenting is turning from your sins

just turn from them

Yes.

Sins are destructive to the soul, they bring curses and they invite and allow evil spirits into our lives. The great thing is that when we sincerely repent (regret that we have sinned and turn completely from sin), God forgives us and cleanses us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

We Christians know right from wrong (Hebrews 10:16) but we aren't perfect and although we slip at times, we repent and are cleansed and strengthened (1 John 1:9; Titus 3:5). Hebrews 10:26 tells us that if someone GOES ON deliberately sinning without the desire to repent, it shows they are not saved.

If a person is not repenting of their sins it means they are not undergoing Christian transformation (2 Corinthians 3:18; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Hebrews 9:12-14; Titus 3:5) which is evidence they do not have the Holy Spirit abiding within them. If they are without the Holy Spirit who God sends to those who are Christ's (John 14:26) it shows that the person never genuinely made Jesus their Lord and Saviour and therefore is not saved.

Those who say they are Christians but are not repenting of their sins are not Christians and are on the wide road to Hell (Matthew 7:13).

The Lord Jesus commands us to repent:

Revelation 2:5

Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Revelation 3:19

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Iniquities (tendencies that cause one to sin) pass down the generation line (Numbers 14:18). When one accepts Lord Jesus as their Saviour, God forgives their sins and removes their iniquities (evil tendencies) in the subsequent transformation process which makes one more and more like Christ.

2 Corinthians 3:18

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Hebrews 9:12-14

Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Titus 3:5

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

After genuinely accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour, ALL sinners (adulterers, those who practice homosexuality, alcoholics, liars, drug addicts, fornicators etc.) will be saved and transformed AS THEY REPENT. Each believer is cleansed by the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ and receives the infilling of the Holy Spirit who renews them.

REDEMPTION BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH

Because mankind is incapable of meeting God’s standard of perfection necessary to abide in God’s presence (Romans 3:19-20,23), God sent His Son Jesus Christ to pay the total debt for the believer’s sins and mercifully credits to his account Christ’s righteousness (Romans 3:21-28,5:1-11; 2 Corinthians 5:18-21). Jesus’ gracious act of atonement was complete and covers all sin (Colossians 2:13-14; 1 John 1:9). Salvation is not based on good deeds but according to the mercy of God (Titus 3:4-5). Believers are justified by faith; it is a gift by God’s grace (Romans 4:3-8; Ephesians 2:8-9). A true, living faith will result in a desire to live a holy, loving life of good works (Ephesians 2:10; Galatians 5:6; James 2:14-26), but failure to be absolutely successful at righteous living does not negate the believer’s justified status.

If you sincerely say this prayer, your sins will be washed away, you will be redeemed to God, be saved from eternal torment and inherit the Kingdom of God:

"Dear Jesus,

I am a sinner.

I repent of my sins.

Please forgive me and save me by your shed blood;

come into my heart.

I want to receive you as my own personal Lord and Savior.

Amen"

https://victoryinjesuschrist.wordpress.com/

Powerful Repentance and Deliverance Prayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71TdHQkliYM

Youtube thumbnail

• ?

you have to be honest and dont take your salvation as a joke take it seriously.