Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

If you believe the "decline" of society is a sign of Jesus' return, what is your incentive to improve society?

Thanks in advance.

Update:

Mother Teresa was a sadistic, sociopathic monster who caused suffering and death in the guise of "charity". Not sure she's a great example to use....

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I believe the "decline" of society is largely due to the fact that many people EXPECT Jesus' return to be any day now, and have an attitude of "I don't care, it's all gonna burn anyway."

Very sad thinking... and it's wrong. Jesus' appearing (Parousia) happened in AD 70 at the destruction of Jerusalem and its Temple, at the end of the Old Covenant age. If He did not return within a generation, then He was a false prophet. But He did, and thankfully this view is growing. (preterism=past fulfillment).

We won't make an effort to improve society unless we believe we'll be around to enjoy it, or at least our progeny will. Hopefully preterism will soon replace the 'doom and gloom' attitude of dispensationalism. And by 'soon,' I really mean 'soon,'... not thousands of years.

Link has a list of over 100 time texts in the NT pointing to a 1st century return of Christ. How have Christians missed this for centuries? And how come we don't know the history of the great Tribulation and Roman Jewish War? (64-70AD).

"Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end." - Ephesians 3:21

Ecclesiastes 1:4 "A generation goes and a generation comes, But the earth remains forever."

• 8 years ago

A few years ago some oil tycoons in Texas were running around the globe burying different breeds of livestock attempting to mate them to get an offspring (calf) that was red. They were doing this because it was one of the signs of the end times, and they were trying to hurry the process along I guess.

the only real incentive these people have is to make certain THEY are decent enough to ascend at the end times (rapture, apocalypse, etc). If they improve society, then that would delay their ascension into their "glorious paradise".

• 8 years ago

Interpreting Signs

Is a Serious Matter!

“At first I thought that our son Andreas just had a headache. But he lost his appetite and had a high fever. The headache got worse, and I became worried. When my husband came home, we took Andreas to the doctor. He checked the symptoms and sent Andreas straight to the hospital. The problem was more serious than a headache. Andreas had meningitis. He was treated and was soon well again.”—Gertrud, a mother in Germany.

GERTRUD’S experience is probably familiar to many parents. They observe signs indicating that their child might be ill. Though not every illness is serious, parents cannot afford to ignore symptoms of ill health in their children. Observing the signs and taking appropriate action may make a big difference. It is a serious matter.

This is true in matters other than health. A case in point is the tsunami disaster in December 2004 in areas surrounding the Indian Ocean. Agencies in such places as Australia and Hawaii detected the massive earthquake in northern Sumatra and foresaw the potential danger of the aftereffect. Yet, there were no means in place for the people in the endangered areas to receive or respond to any warning. As a result, more than 220,000 lives were lost.

Signs of Much Greater Importance

When Jesus Christ was on earth, he gave his listeners a lesson in observing signs and acting accordingly. He was talking about something of far-reaching importance. The Bible reports: “The Pharisees and Sadducees approached him and, to tempt him, they asked him to display to them a sign from heaven. In reply he said to them: ‘When evening falls you are accustomed to say, “It will be fair weather, for the sky is fire-red”; and at morning, “It will be wintry, rainy weather today, for the sky is fire-red, but gloomy-looking.” You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but the signs of the times you cannot interpret.’”—Matthew 16:1-3.

In mentioning “the signs of the times,” Jesus indicated that his first-century Jewish listeners should have been aware of the urgency of the times in which they were living. The Jewish system of things was about to experience a cataclysm that would affect all of them. A few days before his death, Jesus spoke to his disciples about another sign—the sign of his presence. What he said on that occasion is of vital importance to everyone today. Read more here: http://www.watchtower.org/e/20051001/article_02.ht...

• 8 years ago

You are right, there is a direct correlation between religious belief and societal decline ... I hope our society recovers from this plague of ignorance ...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

start by voting Romney

• Because I don't want that mofo to squish me in a wine press.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.