Any good Jazz albums with the combo formation of Horn(or vocal)/Guitar/Bass/Drums?

I want to work on my comping (sans piano), but there isn't really much out there that I've found to listen to. It's hard to learn, when the piano is always comping on recordings.

Please no piano combos!

@JJ J

Yeah! I have both Undercurrent and Intermodulation. Joe's comping on My Funny Valentine was amazing!

Best Answer

Any Jim Hall and Bill Evans duo albums. Obviously there's piano in there but Jim comps a lot and fills in a lot of stuff.

• bettey

Lately, I could need to say Components, through Bobby Hutcherson. I like plenty of the mid to overdue 1960's jazz. I consider that it was once an inventive and unpretentious interval of track making. Other favorites from that point... Andrew Hill-Point of Departure. Eric Dolphy-Out There. Prince Lasha and Sonny Simmons-Firebirds. Roland Kirk-The Inflated Tear. Tony Williams-Lifetime. Herbie Hancock-Maiden Voyage.