Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

You judge a society by how it treats its weakest members --- Based in this how do you judge your society?

This has been stated in several ways for over 100 years by various indiviuals, including (but not limited to) Churchill, Pope John Paul II, Dostoyevsky, Truman, etc.

Very recently by Cardinal Roger Mahony (1998):

"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members ; the last, the least, the littlest."

And perhaps most dubiously attributed to Ghandi:

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "

The original author of this quotation seems to have been lost.

-----

It is from the Bible, Jesus:

Matthew 25:41-46 (New International Version (English Translation))

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_said_A_society_is_me...

Srq

As a heathen pagan polytheist I hate it when Catholics use my questions to grand stand for a church that protects child molesting scum hides the literature of the world in a vault and does nothing but diminish the society as a whole

Try answering the question without the grand standing if your programed little roman a--s is capable of such a thing

Best Answer

Lemme get the boot of US richclass outa' my @ss first, and then I can sniff up an answer...

There, it's out. Now for the sniff...

It stinks.

i'll't see how any of the above solutions are touching on to the unique question. they're merely human beings pushing their own time table. genuinely the 'weakest' in society, by technique of which I propose the adverse and disabled, refugees and per chance elderly. to assert 'weakest' is truly insulting to be straightforward yet those are the folk maximum likely to be affected if issues bypass incorrect economically as they have. those are the folk with the least monetary backup. Given the cuts to welfare and help and monetary help for the disabled (e.g. the mattress room tax, changed 'in good structure to artwork scheme' which seems to assume in the experience that they can breathe unaided it truly is adequate to be operating). i imagine it really is exceptionally clean what the authorities thinks of the voters. upload to that how dissimilar eu governments and the right wing seem treating refugees like some style of vermin truly than weak those who're actually death to get the following from actually hell.

I am a devout Catholic also and do not understand when Christians ignore the clear message of Mathew 25. It sickens me. The church does not protect child molesting scum, but some of it's people have and it was wrong. Making insurance policies out to be some kind of "war on religion" is pathetic.

Christ also said, "The poor will always be with us." If he'd had the global perspective that we have today, he might well have said "The poorer will always be with us." As others have pointed out, the lot of the poor in North America would make millions of Africans, Asians and South Americans turn green with envy.

• Peter

Cutthroats

People considered "poor" here in the US have a higher standard of living than middle class Europeans, so I'd say we could do worse.

I think we treat the poor among us pretty good, try being poor in a 3rd world Country and get back to us.

You are correct. NO COUNTRY is judged based on how many breaks they give to rich people.

A Romney presidency would undoubtedly lower our compassion ‘ranking.’

Sad, but true.

• SrqSeo

As a Roman Catholic, I resent liberals using our moral beliefs on one hand and forcing us to pay for abortion pills on the other.

It's all about money and aggressiveness anymore.

People are at their suck limit.