pandaxfive asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Can you rinse an aquarium filter without the beneficial bacteria coming off?

My filter is black and smells like soil. Its a little clogged so I want to clean it using my fish tank water, but i'm scared that all of the bacteria will come off. Is there a right way to do this? Thanks for your answers!

Favorite Answer

Yes. Just swirl it around in a bucket of old tank water. The bacteria are sticky and stay on the media, and nothing less than a water blaster will remove them all.

You don't need (and shouldn't try) to get the media "clean", just rinse out most of the gunk so the water can flow freely again.

Ian

Your cleaning the filter media right?

You should just wash it around in the aquarium water until all the dirty stuff comes off, but you don't want to overdo it. The filter its self can be cleaned in tap water but I just clean it in aquarium water to be safe. You should do this monthly or every two months. Dont do it during a big water change because you will loose too much beneficial bacteria. May I suggest API stress zyme to help keep the filter cleaner.

Source(s): Experience

fish water is fine BUT dont use tap water to clean filter media take a small portion of your fish tank water and just wash it and just squeeze it off in that and dispose of water as you would any other time that way all of your bacteria doesn't get kill of by chlorine and other harmful elements in tap water that the correct way to do it

Source(s): it how i clean my tanks

yeah just shake it around in some of your old tank water