why Canadians pronounce 'about" like a-boat?

I've noticed that Canadians pronounce about like a-boat haha its funny

but why ???

haha guys even in ''how i met your mother''

robin says a-boat

Favorite Answer

Have a listen to that nice Canadian Seth Rogan. Its just your accent. Not all have it but it does exist. And really, if you don't like stereotypes and generalizations about Canadians, perhaps you can refrain from doing the same to Americans :)

Okay So I am NOT canadian, and I haved lived in many different area's in Canada for different reasons, however.... It is slightly a stereotype and a pinch of an accent.. It actually is not very often you actully hear them say things such as, "abooot", or even "eh"... And if you do ...so what? In dutch they say "Hoi" instead of "Hi"....It's all part of culture. The strongest Canadian accents are from the East Coast.. Provinces such as PEI, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia. But all in all, can you really tell the difference between the way Rachel McAdams & Anne Hathaway speak?...No. Its mostly what are brians allow us to hear.

• SteveN

The only time I have ever heard a Canadian say "a boat" is when they were over near the seashore.

"Oh look! There's A BOAT"

"Where?"

"Over there, near the island."

"Wow! That's a big one! How long do you think it is?"

" It looks ABOUT 40-50 feet long."

"That's kind of long for a barge"

The ABOUT that I hear Canadians use from New Brunswick to Alberta has been pronounced "ah-BOW-t" or like the word "bout" used at boxing matches (The title bout for the heavyweight champion of the world...) I did not say from coast to coast, mainly because I haven't been to BC or Newfoundland to be able to answer honestly.

People all over the world have different ways of talking and different accents that will lead to different pronunciations. All I can say to that is:

"...You like po-tay-toe and I like po-tah-toe,

You like to-may-toe and I like to-mah-toe,

Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe, to-may-toe, to-mah-toe,

Let's call the whole thing off!..."

• Ruth

Really? You mean, all Canadians? I'm Canadian and have lived here all my life. Never ever EVER have I ever heard anyone pronounce about like a-boat or a-boot.

• epona

Never heard any Canadians pronounce about as aboat or aboot

Source(s): Lived in Canada since 1963 and have travelled from the Atlantic to the Pacific and points in between.

As an American myself, Canada has the proper notion. We see guns, and Violence... They see Peace and Love. You possibly can believe that in spite of everything this time of being neighbors with them, we might be trained a thing or two

We don't, so why you think we do is a mystery.

You must be a foreign immigrant or something since you claim to live here.

The only people who think we talk like that are Americans.

That's hilarious because they're hearing things that aren't there and it's literally all in their heads:

Link - http://dialectblog.com/2011/03/20/canadian-raising...

Are you trying to say in some way that you say it wrong. When using a metal I do not think of a short time on the toilet AH LOO MIN EE UM Aluminium second i silent.is the way Mama taught me.Now were you going to say something about me ma or what?

• ?

In all my years I've never once heard anyone say aboat in Canada.

But then again I've seen lots of beaver but not once a Pedobear.

It's just a dialectic difference.