ham asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 8 years ago

im listening to richard feynman on jiggling atoms but he never mentions anything about infrared light?

im listening to richard feynman on heat and cold/ jiggling atoms but he never mentions anything about infrared light. what my question is, is that i thought infrared light was coming from the kentic motion in the atom, but i wasn't sure if i was right could someone inform me on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pYRn5j7oI

Youtube thumbnail

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You are not wrong.....Feynman is keeping it simple and not going into the mechanism by which atoms actually transfer the "jiggles", which means electron "shells" interacting. The mutual repulsion of the electron shells, will transfer KE of the atoms ( in solids, mainly as lattice vibration ) but also as electron excitation..... the electrons can excite each other, with raised Electric potential energy. Which is then converted to infra red radiation as the electron returns to some ground state. The infra red can radiate away , or strike and excite nearby electrons and cause them to become "warm"........

Takes a lot of thinking about..... Feynman must have ben biting his tongue to keep from telling us what the next layers of his understanding would involve.;-)

Source(s): Old teacher
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.