I dont know what to do after highschool?

I'm a 16 year old guy and I'm going into grade 11, I know I have 2 years until I graduate, but I have no clue what I am going to do for a career after school. I am not a nerd or a smart Business men, I am better at getting down and dirty and good with my hands, jobs that require physical work and strength. I can handle a long days of work because I have grown up on a farm, I am just clueless what to do after I am done high school.

I was considering the military, but I don't feel like getting shot at anytime soon. I like animals and I can handle gross things, like I can look at blood and it doesn't gross me out at all, maybe a veterinarian ?

• Autumn
    Favorite Answer

Riley, you don't mention whether you're interested in college or not. You need a degree after high school (in veterinary medicine) to become a vet. However, you can become a veterinary assistant with less study.

Also, if you meet someone whose job appeals to you, ask them how they prepared themselves to get their job.

My husband, similar to you, did not attend college, but was great at manual labor. What he did was start working part time at a major supermarket chain store (Shop-Rite) when he was a senior. When he graduated, he applied for full time and got it. That was 28 years ago. The pay isn't as much as what you make in the private sector of businesses, but enough to support yourself well; but the benefits (Major Medical, Prescription plan, dental plan, pension plan) are very good.

I don't know where you live, but look around for manual labor jobs involving forestry perhaps, keep your eyes and ears open and talk with other adults you know to get an ideas of where best to apply your talents....and get paid for them. I wish you well whether you are going to get additional skills through a little additional study or start work after high school.

It's great that you want to stay away from the military. You seem like you want to save life, not damage it.

Source(s): Just getting old and hearing work stories of other people.