classical music restrictions?

Hi, can you inform me on some of the fundamental classical music "restrictions" or guidelines? i mean like, certain chord switches you cannot do, ... basically anything you have to or can not do , considering the actual composition.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In Early Music (medieval to renaissance) no modulating, no parallel fifths or octaves in polyphony. Simpler melodies and harmonies. No tritonus.

In Baroque you can modulate more (e.g.to the Dominant scale or even the Dominant of the Dominant = C-G-D and then with a clever solution back to C) Melodies becoming more complicating.

In later music (Classical, Romantic) modulations are taken to extremer levels (e.g. C-E-Ab)

Modern Classic like a-tonality None of the above. Instead of a leading scale (C-major e.g.) every tone is a leading tone (12-tone modes)

Also, there are rules considering musical forms: Sonata, rondo, canzona, fuge, fantasia etc.

It can be very long to describe them all here but I'll give an example with the rondo:

You have a melody in C-major accompanied with simple harmony. This is section A.

Then you present a different kind of melody, maybe in the parallel scale a-minor. This is section B

Then section A returns.

Then you take elements of the melodies in A and B and combine them, or alter them. What suits you best. This is section C

Then A returns for a final time and makes your rondo ABACA. Even ABA is already a rondo, and then you can even make it like ABA'CAB'ADA with the ' marking a not literal copy of the section.

Now this is very briefly answered, there are libraries full explaining this stuff, so I hope this helps a bit!

Karel

Source(s): Musician
  • No, but if its not classic, its not classic.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.