?

Why do people on this website assume being politically pro-choice makes you personally pro-choice?

Most of the women I know in real life are pro-choice politically.

However, they would never have an abortion and are personally against having an abortion.

On this website, the issue is viewed as back and white, which is incredibly ignorant and unrealistic.

I'd imagine that my social group is not all that uncommon.

Just because you believe that politically women should have the right to choose, does not mean you support abortion,

I'd like to think this fact is obvious to most people, but I know most people aren't very smart.

@ imacatholic2: many Catholics support Romney. He is for the death penalty. Anyone that is for the death penalty that calls them self pro-life is an idiot plain and simple.

Favorite Answer

Is there really a difference between being politically pro-slavery even if you would never own a slave yourself?

Is there really a difference between being politically pro-euthanasia even if you would never kill your own elderly parents or sick child?

If you politically support these things then you are supporting a culture of death.

====

Catholics believe that life is a sacred gift from God and needs to be treated with all human dignity from the moment of conception to the point of natural death.

The Catholic Church is pro-life in the widest sense. This is often called a "Consistent Ethic of Life."

This pro-life stance stresses the highest regard for dignity of human life including that of:

+ All people in objecting to unjust war and nuclear arms.

+ The unborn in objecting to to abortion, in vitro fertilization, frozen embryos, embryonic stem cell research, and cloning

+ The elderly, sick and dying in objecting to assisted suicide and euthanasia

+ Prisoners in objecting to torture and the death penalty

+ The poor and minorities in supporting social justice issues.

For more information, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church, sections 2270 and following: http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt3sect2chpt2a...

With love in Christ.

• Ashnod

There certainly are plenty of people who support reproductive choice who would not personally choose abortion for themselves, but I fail to see why this is a salient point. It seems like it only ever gets brought up in the context of pro-choice women protesting that they would never do ~such a thing~ themselves, because they're not ~that kind of woman~ (even while claiming to believe in other women's right to abort). It's unnecessarily divisive and indirectly shames the women who do choose abortion.

If you're pro-choice, then you believe in a woman's right to control her own body and make her own reproductive choices, *end of statement*. What any particular individual woman would or would not choose for herself is and should be irrelevant to her position on reproductive rights.

I applaud women who carry children they didn't plan on to term even if they identify as pro-choice, but to be honest personally anti-abortion and politically pro-choice is hypocritical

"It's wrong, I'd never do it, I'd never kill my baby but if other women do it I don't care and no one else should have the right to give a crap even though their child is no less of a human being than mine"

To me that's just cowardice, namely the inability to stand up for what's right because in contradicts what everyone else thinks and these days standing up for morality and responsibility before convenience is seen as a bad thing

The only valid excuse to commit murder is self-defense, it's the same with abortion... unless the mother would die if she gave birth she needs to have it and consider being more careful in her future sex-life to prevent a repeat

Yes it does. If a person supports someone else's right to get an abortion then they are not pro life.

(I don't include in this extreme cases where the mother might die if she carries the baby. That's a terrible dilemma to be in and no one would blame that mother for having to get an abortion.)

• monson

Some of us fully grasp the US is a colossal and diverse country. Even as we may for my part no longer consider in it, we fully grasp others do and this a democracy, no longer a theocracy. We additionally realize on this form of government, the majority will have to rule. Some people count on in case you think anything for your self, you robotically wish to ram it down the throats of the leisure of the public.

huh? l think that the pro homosexual marriage is a more obvious example,

• Andrew

Mind saying that again?

Good point.