How fast is a SATA III SSD compared to a 15000rpm HDD?

Would a SSD be faster? If so, how high of rpm would you need to get the same speed as a SATA III SSD?

I know 15000rpm is ridiculously fast and i know there aren't any that are faster, but im just curious

Favorite Answer

All SSDs are faster than any traditional HDDs as far as seek time goes. A 15k RPM drive seek time is about 3-4 ms, while a SSD is about 0.1 ms. That makes the SSD about 30 times faster as far as seek times go. This makes programs load much faster, because for each file, and for each fragmentation of each file, will add to the total load time. So if you need to load 1000 files, and each file is fragmented once, that'll mean the 15k RPM drive will waste about 6 seconds in seek time alone, while the SSD will have wasted only 0.2 seconds in seek time.

However, traditional HDDs tend to have better read and write performance, so if you keep your drive defragmented, it'll in theory transfer large files faster than most SSDs.

SSD and HDD are comparable outdoors(they the two use SATA-2 or SATA-3 cables) yet they are distinctive interior. indexed right here are the diversities. one million)SATA-2 SSD runs at approximately 250MB/s speed and is plenty swifter then ANY hdd 2)SATA-3 SSD can run at approximately 600MB/s speeds yet on condition that your motherboard has SATA-3 compatibility ! 3) HDD is plenty slower,something like 55MB/s optimal for some drives.HDD has mechanical spinning magnetic discs and is heavier then SSD.you could't shake HDD jointly because it incredibly is working in the different case you will injury some archives.The SSD would not have any spinning pars so that's ok to shake it or throw it away jointly because it incredibly is working lol you will not word a huge distinction between SATA-2 and SATA-3 in many times going on use till you run benchmark courses, considering they the two would be plenty swifter whilst in comparison with HDD. if the version between SATA-2 SSD and SATA-3 SSD is far less then $60 then I propose getting SATA-3.

I can give you a comparison based on what I have.

I used to have a SATA II SSD and a SATA III Western Digital 10,000 rpm Velociraptor driver. My older SATA II SSD was about twice as fast as the 10K WD Velociraptor. Now SATA III SSD's are twice as fast as SATA II's... Hope that gives you an idea.

As far as operations per second, SSD will beat out the 15000rpm.

As far as sequential reads and writes, they should be about the same.