How to transfer steam game saves to hard drive and back to computer?

Hi, recently my computer has been acting really slow and I wish to reformat it. But before I considered to reformat it I want to make sure I can transfer my steam game saves (such as the save file for portal 2, borderlands etc..) from say a portable hard drive and back to my newly reformatted computer. Thanks a lot!

Best Answer

It depends on the individual game. Later valve games like Portal 2 keep a copy of your save file in the "Steam Cloud", so you don't have to worry about backing up your save games, they'll be there automatically after the reformat. Borderlands uses the Steam cloud as well, but other games can park their save files in all sorts of different locations. Some do it in a directory under the game installation directory, some do it in a folder off of your documents folder, others store save games under application_data.... all you can do is check the internet for every game you want to preserve save files for.