Transitioning from full blonde colour to blonde highlights?

I've been dying my hair a honey blonde colour for about 4 years and I'm ready for a change. I want a cooler shade of blonde, so I want to transition into my natural colour (light brown) with light blonde highlights. So if anyone has hair colouring experience, I need some advice :)

I want to avoid damaging my hair (any more than necessary). Would it be best to go for light blonde highlights on top of what I already have and wait for it to gradually grow out? Or add light brown lowlights as well?

I've recently had a trim, so my hair is in a really good condition. How much damage am I looking at with lighter blonde highlights? Should I wait and grow my roots out significantly before doing this?

Basically, any advice you have on any of those questions is much appreciated. :)

Favorite Answer

Best advice?

Celebrity wears two-tone hair dye all the time, trying to grow out their dye. Watch Victoria Newman on the Young & the Restless (her dyed blond hair had been growing for months & months), now Chloe on Y&R has two-tone hair, and another on Entertainment Tonight, she's one of the correspondence. Chloe Kardashian, Drew Barrymore & Guiliana Rancic (btw, she just had double mastectomy), Sarah Jessica Parker, Rachel Bilson,Jennifer Lopez (when she's not wearing hair extensions) have had their hair done like that (letting their highlights fade) for years! The other night, I even spotted Ivanka Trump's hair, she's letting her hair grow naturally on the Apprentice. They call that look ombre hair color — darker roots, lighter ends — but colorists sees that fading. Women are wanting dimensional color with natural highlights that look like they've been playing out in the sun.

Dyeing your hair another color to get to your NATURAL color, will just take longer to get there, that's another layer of dye to go over the old dye.

Chemicals can enter the body through the skin.

Google: A 38-year old mother left in a coma after using hair dye. 11-22-11. SHE DYED HER HAIR MANY TIMES BEFORE, USING THE SAME BRAND.

Permanent black hair dye is linked to causing leukemia and lymphomas.

Google Salon Hair Dye Lawsuits. About 336,000 results (0.17 seconds) Dec. 2011

When it comes to hair care treatments, product use or visits to a salon or spa, the consumer must take responsibility to do their homework and be aware of all the risks involved.

Vanessa Minnillo Lachey: "I dated a guy once who wanted me to have blonde hair. Clearly, he was the wrong guy for me! I went to a lady who bleached my hair and it literally fell out. So, not only did I go back to my natural hair, I broke up with the guy!"

Another example posted on YA! 8-20-12. Is it just me or does xxl live max blonde make your scalp feel like it on fire? I've recently used a max blonde on my hair and I had to wash it wash off straight away because my scalp felt like it was on fire has this happend to anyone else?

A WOMAN was temporarily blinded when her face swelled up "like a football" following what she told was a severe reaction to hair dye.

Carmen Rowe, 25, from Swansea was hospitalised for three days after using the Clairol 'Nice n' Easy' natural black colour. She said: "I lost my job, all for the sake of a glamorous hairstyle. I just want to warn parents what could happen." She claimed she carried out a skin test 48 hours before using the dye without a problem and has been colouring her hair since she was 13. March 3, 2012.

Example of one who's hair is falling and stopped growing from YA!:

"my hair had been bleached many times and can't grow past a certain length

its also falling out . i stopped bleaching it.

i just need to add lenght! but if i can stop it from falling out..that be great too"

Source(s): Google FDA.gov & search for Hair Dye & Relaxers. Google: Hair Dye FAQ's Are Hair Dyes Safe?

Because of the peroxide in most house colors there's a strong threat your hair will turn inexperienced. Blond colors are the worst for this for the reason that they contain a lightener. I must save if I were you or try going a darker colour all over the place. An ash brown suits most epidermis types and your roots will not show. I'm also a blond and have the identical quandary. Good luck

• Nita

I prefer brunette over blondes and it doesn't matter to me if the hair is curly or not

Okker would really suite you in the opinion. It looks really pretty as well as it has a style that's really noticeable. You'd look good with it.