Pokemon Soul Silver Breeding question: catching dittos?

Ive been reading a IV breeding guide(http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/breeding_guide... and it claims in a certain paragraph that each time you catch a ditto, there is a 1 in 6 chance that it will have a 31 IV in a certain stat. Is this true? I've been having trouble finding a ditto with a 31 SP.Attack IV.

Here is a copy and paste of the paragraph:

"You might be saying, after reading all this: "Okay, let's see if I'm understanding this correctly. I need a Ditto with a Timid Nature and a 31 IV in Speed in order to breed it with my Gastly, so that I can get a Timid Gastly with 31 Speed IV, right? But from where am I going to get such a Ditto?"

The short answer is: you need to catch it.

I can hear groans of disappointment, but cheer up: this is actually not very difficult to do.

When a wild Pokémon is encountered, the IVs for that Pokémon are generated completely at random. This means that there is a 17.3% chance (about 1 in 6) that a Pokémon caught in the wild has at least one of its IV to be a perfect 31. All we need to do, then, is to catch six Ditto, each of which has a perfect IV in one of the six stats."

Also wanted to add, that the first ditto I found had 31 IV's in attack, so he may be correct on this...or I just got lucky...

Favorite Answer

It's true. It's really not that hard to do. It can become frustrating when you keep catching the the 31 in the same stat though. And it's also difficult if you want 2 or 3 flawless IVs on a Ditto. When I still bred the normal way I had lots of Ditto with 31 IVs though, and one lucky Ditto with three 31's. It didn't take me more than a few days.

Also, if you want more immediate results, like a Ditto with a 31 in every stat, you can try RNG manipulation. It's a bit difficult for HGSS, because Smogon doesn't have any guides on that, but if you want to I can create an HGSS wild capture-guide (I've already made one on breeding --- you'd have to wait until my computer is fixed though, so I can download the new RNG Reporter).

• hyer

Pokemon Silver Breeding Guide