All Canadians: In your opinion, which is the best college/university to go to for becoming a Geologist?

I'm doing some college researching because next year I graduate from high school in B.C., and I've got to start worrying about my future now. I'd like to start off college in Canada. I'm planning on becoming a Geological Earth Scientist. I'm not exactly sure how to become a Geologist either, I'm not sure what I will need to get a great well paid job. But I plan on doing anything I can to become the best I can be and do the bestest job I can possibly do. I want to be successful and be able to provide for myself. I will do anything to achieve these goals. However much money and however many years of schooling to get me to the best job. I just don't know exactly how to get there, and I might need a bit of help. So could any of you tell me how I can reach this goal? What school will I have to go to, how much will I have to pay, what kind of degrees or majors or whatever will I have to get? Or do I even go to college, should I go straight to university? Or should I go to college and then university? Please help me out a bit! I've been doing a lot of research on my own, but it's real nice to get someone else's opinion!

Best Answer

Depends where exactly you want to work. It's funny you ask actually, I am really considering the field of geological or environmental engineering and would take a course at the University of Saskatchewan to get that. My goal is to get a higher up job with PotashCorp in Saskatchewan. They are BOOMING, big time. Anyone our age considering a career in the field of geology or mining should look no further than Saskatchewan. It's the Klondike Gold Rush of our era, if you will. A LOT of money to be made there right now. So obviously my first recommendation is the University of Saskatchewan. With a degree from they'll get your foot in the door. They have summer student programs at PotashCorp for geology students each summer so, yeah. I'm really considering it.

I did some research for you, and the University of British Columbia and the University of Toronto both place on this website I found:

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings...

As you can see, U of BC is ranked 14 in the world, and U of T is ranked 20.

You will probably want to go to U of BC because you already live near there, and because it's the best geology school in Canada (according to the website). If you want a change, you could consider U of T. I live in Toronto and it's a fun, awesome city where you will have a great time (and learn a lot too, U of T is a pretty good university).

howdy, you have nevertheless have been given time. I guess you'll be able to desire to nail all of the Geology profs which you would be able to ever want. you would be called the 'warm geologist' that all of the dude geologists could call up.

I found this website for you which may or may not be helpful but it's worth a shot! :) http://www.ehow.com/how_7986_become-geologist.html