What's the difference between renewable energy and environmental resources engineering?

Oregon Tech offers renewable energy engineering and Humboldt State offers environmental resources engineering. When I look at the differences between these 2, I couldn't tell so what should I do? I'm a senior in highschool with a 3.6 GPA.

Best Answer

Environmental engineering science is a multidisciplinary field of engineering science that combines the biological, chemical and physical sciences with the field of engineering.

And Environmental engineering is the application of science and engineering principles to improve the natural environment, To provide healthy water, air, and land for human habitation and for other organisms, and to re-mediate polluted sites. It involves waste water management and air pollution control, recycling, waste disposal, radiation protection, industrial hygiene, environmental sustainability.

Comparing the two programs you mentioned, they look quite similar in substance. You'll learn the basics of energy generation (electrochemistry, thermodynamics, etc.) as well as take advanced courses specific to renewable energy - solar power, wind power, and building energy efficiency, among others.

I would do some thinking about what area of renewable energy you're interested in exploring. You could become a solar or wind engineer, or you could go into energy auditing and help make buildings more efficient. Green building and LEED certification is another possibility.

Whichever program you choose, you might be interested in checking out our scholarship program for students in renewable energy (link below). Good luck!